Dumbed Down, Not Much Of Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
but the rules state that reported posts will be removed when reported, if the reporter finds them offensive

I can find nothing in the rules that states any such thing, nor anything remotely akin to it.

Perhaps you may just made that up?

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/forum-rules.213557/

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@jowwy I did put your proposal to delete all posts reported as offensive to the team.
We are still debating it, but, truly, you have given us an example NOT to use this method.
Why?
Because you recently reported as offensive a post that was clearly a joke, smiley faces and all, made by a member that has never ever made an offensive/abrasive comment on this forum.
Akin to me writing a complain to your company, because someone left a good review of your product, but I find your product is pants. Do I have a case for complaining about the reviewer?
since when was the reporting of posts made public knowledge and used to out members who do report them, by stating what you just have, may well now stop people reporting posts….

maybe it would have been put better in a private post, rather than in the public domain………maybe youcan send me the post i reported privately and can state my case.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The problem is, Colin,that not everyone uses the forum as you do. For example, I don't.

I never use the "new posts" facility. I just go to the subforums that I have traditionally found interesting.

It would be helpful to know if most people use Colin's approach or mine

If it's mine, I think there is a strong argument for reabsorbing a lot of the special interest subforums back into Cafe
In years gone by I used the Nickyboy technique! After a 3 or so year break from CC, I came back last year and have since employed the Colin method. For me this place isn’t the same with all of the sub forums and it looks like a whole lotta folks left while I was away. Still find it interesting here but the magic started to fade when commercial angle came in. Pretty sure there used to be hundreds posting all the time but now it seems like a few dozen at best. Anyway, that’s just my sense and not a serious moan.

p.s. The gap was a voluntary cycling or cycle forum break and not due to being banged up!

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
OP creates a thread about the site becoming boring and instigates a riot :whistle:

Look, I used to post on here and had some negative comments and light abuse. I stopped for a while, recently fell in love with cycling again and have become a more frequent poster and personally enjoy the site as it is.
With age and experience I have become more thick skinned and more accepting of others views and opinions, accepting I am not always right. I'm not a huge poster compared to some but in a forum with thousands of members its a bit naive to think you're going to agree and get on with everyone all of the time, such as in life, stop being offended and move on, accept the forum is what it is and how the owner wants and deal with it. Lots of members have left and moved on, again that's life and while some new posts may be repetitive and boring for some veterans, these are often new members asking for advice that will keep the forum going for years to come.
I'm sure I've more to add but my whisky glass is empty and I originally had no intention of getting involved :blush:

So you cant find anything in the rules at all about post deletion???
Here you go....

If you report a post for violating the Forum Rules, the moderator team will evaluate the reported post to see if it breaks any rules. If not, they'll take no other action. If the post breaks rules, they'll usually edit or remove the post.

from https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-happens-when-i-report-a-post.213520/

For the sake of clarity....
the moderator team will evaluate the reported post to see if it breaks any rules. If not, they'll take no other action. If the post breaks rules, they'll usually edit or remove the post.

My understanding of English suggests that a reported post is not automatically deleted.

And if it is found to be on the wrong side of the rules it may just be edited or even left in place.

Can we please stop now.

classic33

Leg End Member
OP creates a thread about the site becoming boring and instigates a riot :whistle:

Look, I used to post on here and had some negative comments and light abuse. I stopped for a while, recently fell in love with cycling again and have become a more frequent poster and personally enjoy the site as it is.
With age and experience I have become more thick skinned and more accepting of others views and opinions, accepting I am not always right. I'm not a huge poster compared to some but in a forum with thousands of members its a bit naive to think you're going to agree and get on with everyone all of the time, such as in life, stop being offended and move on, accept the forum is what it is and how the owner wants and deal with it. Lots of members have left and moved on, again that's life and while some new posts may be repetitive and boring for some veterans, these are often new members asking for advice that will keep the forum going for years to come.
I'm sure I've more to add but my whisky glass is empty and I originally had no intention of getting involved :blush:
Not whiskey on this day of all days?

jowwy

Here you go....

If you report a post for violating the Forum Rules, the moderator team will evaluate the reported post to see if it breaks any rules. If not, they'll take no other action. If the post breaks rules, they'll usually edit or remove the post.

from https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-happens-when-i-report-a-post.213520/

For the sake of clarity....
the moderator team will evaluate the reported post to see if it breaks any rules. If not, they'll take no other action. If the post breaks rules, they'll usually edit or remove the post.

My understanding of English suggests that a reported post is not automatically deleted.

And if it is found to be on the wrong side of the rules it may just be edited or even left in place.

Can we please stop now.
read the rules on insults….on there it states that post may lead to deletion, i have posted a few posts back for clarification, its line 5 the last two words “post deletion”

classic33

Leg End Member
since when was the reporting of posts made public knowledge and used to out members who do report them, by stating what you just have, may well now stop people reporting posts….

maybe it would have been put better in a private post, rather than in the public domain………maybe youcan send me the post i reported privately and can state my case.
You'd already said you'd reported posts, thereby making it public.

read the rules on insults….on there it states that post may lead to deletion, i have posted a few posts back for clarification, its line 5 the last two words “post deletion” View attachment 635822
Yes. Indeed.

May does not mean will.

What in the name of all that's holy is your problem?

Nowhere does it say that reported posts WILL be deleted.

Posts that fall outside of the rules may/can/could be deleted. They may also be edited. And sometimes left.

jowwy

@jowwy I did put your proposal to delete all posts reported as offensive to the team.
We are still debating it, but, truly, you have given us an example NOT to use this method.
Why?
Because you recently reported as offensive a post that was clearly a joke, smiley faces and all, made by a member that has never ever made an offensive/abrasive comment on this forum.
Akin to me writing a complain to your company, because someone left a good review of your product, but I find your product is pants. Do I have a case for complaining about the reviewer?
This is the nearest similarity I could find!

Correct, but you also must have a good reason for wanting the deletion: being offended just because is not a good reason imo.

Abrasive comment above imo: but it has not been reported, maybe the poster you responded to didn't find it abrasive. You see, it's subjective. Someone could find one of your post offensive, you would of course disagree. The mods must decide.

No, the rules say reported post could be removed. If the reported post is against the rules, it will be removed.

The above, imo, is a personal attack: not reported.

Yes, this is correct, we will remove offensive, abusive or off topic posts: or edit out the personal attacks, like your "maybe next time read the rules properly" statement above (not reported).
Sometimes, if a poster does personal attacks often, we will issue a warning and/or a ban.
According to the posts I've quoted, you should have had 3 warnings, which automatically trigger a day's forum ban.
But you did not get any warnings, no one reported you :okay:
I'm off to bed now, won't be on CC till late tomorrow, so don't send me any PMs, send a contact us to the team.
Seriously……if some gets a forum ban, for asking someone ”whats the issue”, then i can see why members are leaving

if a member recieves a ban for making a joke comment about drinking and posting, and puts a winky face and thumbs up, i can see why members are leaving.

if the 3 posts you linked to in your comments is a reason for a member to receive a thread/forum ban....then its no wonder people are having issues with moderation and confused as to why they are being banned. if All 3 of the posts is a reason to ban someone " in your opinion" i find that quite disturbing.

no point sending you a contact us form....you never reply yo them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom