Discrimination and Loss of "freedom of movement" for poor and disabled

Is exclusion and discrimination of the poor and disabled in regards to cycling a serious problem?

• yes

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • no

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I am ignorant on the issue (lack of knowledge, not dumb)

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • your trolling

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • your not trolling

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • They are a danger and should not be allowed (for what ever reason)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I never knew I was discriminating by "exclusion"

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don't want them cycling and think you need to be silenced

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • please educate me

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • TMI (if this is your selection please PM as to why)

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
I'd tried to cancel the appointment that morning, but the phone was put down on me. When I got to the hospital, the person who'd hung up on me couldn't stop apologizing. She thought it was a obscene/dirty call due to the heavy breathing & had already filed a report.
Although I don't want to reveal my situation (too personal) other than to say I know how you feel, that's something I've had to put up with all my life.

Oldspice

Hecklers from the Classic Oldspice,

Have I missed something in this thread? As I just quoted a responce to Matt's post, because I liked what he'd written.
Your correct in your assumption about me NOT reading the whole thread; nonetheless, that does not give you the rite to snyde comments.

What ANDY_R said

classic33

Leg End Member
Although I don't want to reveal my situation (too personal) other than to say I know how you feel, that's something I've had to put up with all my life.
The seizure the day before was the cause of the "heavy breathing". Sore ribs/chest causing trouble breathing. All that was done was by the person who took the call was standard proceedure, which I can understand. This meant it was recorded & logged. Explanations had to wait until I got to the hospital.
Sight explained it better than words.

I'd tried to cancel the appointment that morning, but the phone was put down on me. When I got to the hospital, the person who'd hung up on me couldn't stop apologizing. She thought it was a obscene/dirty call due to the heavy breathing & had already filed a report.

classic33

Leg End Member
IF, he returns he will it seems see there are more dis-abled(some-one come up with a better way of putting that) people who cycle.

Penny bet says he might just return to look, but that he will not log on again. 2 pence says he'll not make any further posts, on this thread or start a similar.
This based on what has happenned elsewhere.

classic33

Leg End Member
But to make a point you have not been banned DC
:smile:
:
Who's DC in all of this?

OP
OP
D

disabled rider

Regular
I am trying a different tactic in writing this post, Since it required me to go to other pages to read as I wrote it. I used wordpad in windows. As result the format is different than others of my posts.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
OK I believe this was the post I had promised and vowed to reply too.
This is a reply to the post Mr Jamie Quote"

" I've read all of this thread, please show me where you've explained why you need to ride on the sidewalk.
This is the vague comment I'm talking about, you don't explain why you're more at risk just say that you are.

Here you state the same "fact" again that you will get killed and an able bodied cyclist might not, but without any reasoning or evidence, that's not how a discussion works.

Q. Why with your self-professed good cycling ability are you personally more at risk than able bodied cyclists and in need of riding on the sidewalk?

I'm not trying to trip you up or pick an argument with you, but you absolutely need to be able to answer that question if you want to convince people to agree that you should cycle on the sidewalk. You've had 18 pages of replies and an incredible amount of tolerance from this forum. :smile:"
-------------------------
------------------------
When I use caps I am NOT shouting. I sue(wow had a dyslexic fart flipping of letters I meant to use "use" Point here is I do have dyslexia I just hide it well) here it to get the reader to pay attention to those particular words because If they don't the point is easily missed in which I am trying to make. When I shout I use "!!!!!!!!!!!""

I am also using double "----------------------------" as a means to separate different trains of thought to help keep the different points separate, people are having trouble following, when not recognizing the shift points in the topics pointed out in my posts.
-----------------------
----------------------
I am going to do two things reply to you and recap. There is a lot of stuff going on, claiming I am saying stuff I am not. And I am seeing a lot of refusal to see it from an Impaired riders view.

I have pointed out in the beginning, if you do NOT look at it from the impaired person point of view you, fall for the "normalized exclusion" and DO NOT SEE A PROBLEM.

Example of saying something I did not say poof I am gone for a few days and I come back and there is so much to read "POOF' you know like a magic act its there one moment and gone the next.
----------------------
----------------------

I have said it in previous posts, multiple times, about the reason for riding On the side walk.

I First said it in post #77 chapter 1 "about myself"

Quote:"1. hearing loss, low end of moderate to profound. Moderate is 1/2. Profound is deaf. wearing in excess of $3000 in defective hearing equipment. "exclusion factor" is the reason I am being forced to wear expensive defective garbage."

Quote;"4. heart defect had heart surgery when was 26. Food additives and other chems used on food was the trigger to make this a big issue for me."

Quote:"5. Atypical panic attacks This was caused by the torture and abuse by my peers due to number 1 and 2 above. I have had bodily arson done to me for the sole purpose to entertain a bully who was bored. Another incident broke my right arm for same reason as first. The actions were linked to numbers 1 and 2. Fact is, many people get insecure when they feel someone they perceive as inferior is doing better than they are. (class standing in top 1/5 despite 2 major impairments, and exclusion, in point of fact)"

How I interact with people when a conflict happens, such as a close call with death, other aspects of the Chapter 1 come into play like the C-PTSD

Now when I been talking about riding side walks I been only using the "hearing impairments" disability. because I figured it was the easiest for people to follow when showing examples.

And suing the wheelchair and second floor scenario as well because it was an easy one to follow.

I been leaving out the "Atypical panic" in the discussion about which impairments should be considered when adapting policy to allow to be used in side walks, in my case (it coincides with the hearing loss), because most people have no clue what it means, and it is hard for those who have never experienced it, to understand its implication. It took the doctor, to explain this to me, I understood it, because I am the one who was suffering from it. I could directly relate to his definition of it. "Atypical panic ". Its not the same as a standard "panic attack", Panic attacks are not the same as anxiety attacks.

OK I had pointed out that chapter 1 was To establish a "point of perspective" "A PERSON WITH IMPAIRMENTS" such as the two I quoted just above.

This next point is not an insult to the readers it a point about my "naivity".
I was naive, to think, that the readers were going to understand how my impairments impact and relate to cycling, and understand what I wrote previously and actually look at my posts from the perspective of a person with impairments. Example, you yourself missed it, when I have already explained several times Why I am on the sidewalks. Like the mirror discussion.

post #127 was using the assumption people were reading from an impaired person perspective. about WHY you allow impaired people to use the sidewalks. MY naivity that people would do as I asked..
------------------------

I have also discussed the discrimination" Is in the level of risk vs able bodies vs impaired people. Your "FAVORING" the able bodied, by "forcing all" cyclist onto the road. Why the able body have a MUCH LOWER RISK OF GETTING KILLED. That is the "Favoritism". So to remove the discrimination, would lead to "modifying policy" to reduce the level of risk for the impaired person to bring it down to a level more on par with those able bodied on the roads, BY ALLOWING the IMPAIRED PERSON on the sidewalks. (Those that can not see this, it is the normalization of the exclusion I am referring too, Point here is its so normalized, your blind to this point about discrimination)

I am really going to dumb down this example to make a point.
to follow the law all people cycle the street. That includes a "TOTALLY BLIND" person is forced to ride the street, too. (There is some cutting edge tech out there, that would make it possible, for a blind person to ride very slowly. it adapts GPS and voice command auditory signaling that a blind person follows exactly.)

Now consider the risk of the able body person getting killed vs the blind person, getting killed.
If you don't see the difference in the level of risk of getting killed, then your not looking at it from the impaired persons perspective.

Now swap out the blind with the deaf. You have me.

------------------

The point about the mirror was it does not mitigate enough of the risk of getting killed, to be more on par with able bodied risk of getting killed. Just like the GPS tech does not tell a blind person there is a car right behind them ready to run them over. Not being able to hear the traffic cumming so not knowing when to look in the mirror.

------------------
------------------

My sharing of personal information wasn't meant to be a topic point, It wasn't complaining, it was meant to establish a perspective, from an impaired person view. In other words follow the thread in my shoes. AS an "IMPAIRED PERSON"

If you had been You would have picked up on, why I am on the sidewalk and not the street.

I reread, I don't know how I could have been anymore clear.

-----------------
-----------------

Now to answer you question near the bottom.

I said my 6+ years of zero accidents is "RIDING ON THE SIDEWALKS" Following PED RULES. NOT STREET, USING STREET RULES.

I also discussed That I can not give you statistics on the level of risk of able bodies vs disabled.

1. Not enough disabled riders to do the comparisons too.

2. The data collected would most likely not contain facts, Like the person is legally blind , or deaf, or had epilepsy episode, when accidents are recorded. (example of this point. When I had heart surgery, they did not put in the file, that I had been injured from the defibrillator, that still causes pain to this day. in report it says heart surgery was total success with no problems.)

3 You have to look at WHO is collecting the data as well. Were they, able bodies or impaired, for example. If it was impaired, they may have added the data about the persons impairments. which would of lead to a more accurate statistics. Example of my point I was in 1 minor fender bender in my early years when driving, only cracked their tail light. The able bodied police officer left out the facts that the car, I rear-ended, tail lights were covered in dirt and made it very difficult to see when your looking right at them, He also left out the fact I was hearing impaired. He also left out the fact the driver did not have his foot on the brake, while waiting to do a 90 degree, left turn, across another lane of traffic. (It is required to keep your foot on the brake when stationary to inform following drivers your not moving. He also left out fact I HONKED.

Now if that had been me, in the car in the front and able body in behind I would not have heard the honking to alert me. That would have been a contributing factor being I could not hear the horn. Point is the police officer being able body did not even consider that putting the fact I had hearing loss in the report was a mistake of leaving relevant facts out.

Because of the omission when they try to do statistics involving impaired drivers vs able bodied driver the statistics is wrong because vital facts were left out. The number of accidents involving the impaired people is much lower than in actuality.

My proof is going on a case by case basis. because I know I can not get accurate statistics.

I was using my own example, that involved me, to prove the point of greater risk. talking about mirrors etc and my not having any accidents vs able bodied aquatance I know. etc. DON'T QUOTE THIS POINT IT IS OUT OF CONTEXT go to the original posts where I have pointed this out. (i was on the side walks while he was on street.

I also pointed out I have had my mirror destroyed by passing car when I use to ride on the street before I went to the sidewalks.
-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
I cannot hear the traffic, mirrors do not help me. So When I find a big truck right on top of me, so unexpectedly, less than 1ft to my left, I have a MAJOR ATYPICAL PANIC ATTACK. Which can at times, cause me to jump in unintended directions, Not to mention instant lethargy, that can last for hours, which makes it hard to stay upright. Then compound the problem, I have "defective heart" that still has other issues besides what the surgery corrected and is currently undiagnosed.

When you put all that together, I will get killed, NOT might get killed, If I try to ride the streets

When I move to the sidewalk USING PED RULES the above does not happen. Thus accident free, The risk to me getting killed drops to a more on par to the risk able bodied people riding the street.

------------------------------------

I know I jump in unexpected directions, from the time I lived in Adult foster-care, while I waited for the outcome of my Disability case from SSA. Even with hearing aids I could not hear people move around me even when they are making noise. I find them right next to me behind my perferial vision, when I turn they are right there, causing me to jump, the jump is exaggerated by the "Atypical panic attack."

I live alone since getting disability insurance. 6+ years ago

-----------------------------------

Knowing this fact There is a high probability and actually have it happen, several times while riding, If I am on the street on ice I will fall into traffic, happened on low traffic road, and I wasn't injured. Remember I also mentioned my balance is not great off center. Jumping can put me off center suddenly. weaving etc to try and compensate, drivers not giving me the mandatory 3 ft is not going to be expecting this.

------------------------------

If you look at what I described from a ABLE BODIED PERSPECTIVE, It looks like total irrationality, lying, delusional, mentally ill, etc.

When you put yourselves in my shoes and look at it through my eyes, NOT using your own experiences but mine. Everything I have said makes perfect sense and is quite rational.

That HELP oldspice keeps insisting I go get, I already have. I been running the stuff, I been writing about here past HIM. See he sees it from my perspective (And he is a PHD psychologist), He been with me for more than 6 years. He can put himself in my shoes, with my "entire history" at his finger tips. He can clearly see the discrimination, I can tell by the tears in his eyes.

See one of the cognitive behavioral therapy steps is to cross check your facts and information with an outside source (outside your head, like another rational person) To ensure that your thought process is not irrational / delusional.

He does not agree on every point I make, Which I why I trust him and let the things people say here go PARTLY through one ear and out the other-side. Especially those who insist there is something wrong with me and try to give the WRONG label. One of the key things like what oldspice was saying was ignoring the fact I already said I KNOW what is wrong with me.
The whole mental illness thing is another can of worms regarding the NORMALIZATION as well.
Like not wanting to distinguish between mental illness and psychological injury. Because admitting the difference has a fundamental change on how we perceive certain issues regarding health of the brain. I do not want to get into this debate here this one belongs in a mental health forum and does not have any relevance to this discussion other than establishing point of perspective from a person with impairments. I clearly pointed time and again that it is about establishing perspective not establishing point of topic about analyzing about everything wrong with me.

---------------------------
----------------------------
Then Why am I here? I have Talked about that too. See I am not unique nor alone when It comes to policy doing MORE HARM to people with impairments and that doing more harm is the discrimination, The difficulty lies with HOW NORMALIZED the discrimination is.

Normalized basically means people are blind to it and can't see how discriminatory their actions or lack of actions are.

Ask yourself, why people no longer use the term "DEAF AND DUMB" openly any more unless they seriously want to be sued.

Way back, it was normalized term and used back then on daily basis, in a manor that was not seen as discrimination.

But once we shown how widely it was used and disproved it, It became a "CLASSIC" of what not to do. Because it was finally cleared that in fact it was discrimination, and that the "NORMALIZATION OF IT' had been devastating for those with hearing impairments in their exclusion of education and participating in society. It had gotten better, but is still a big problem.
The big difference is it is not so "normalized" as it once was. But then that depends on who's perspective your using. This is proof that the normalized discrimination is still live and well http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-...ity-rights-education-disabilities-act-netflix If it had not been a problem still, it would not have gone to court in the first place.

The equality act isn't any better the Atco vid previously posted is proof of that. They were acting on instructions from the government within the equality act guidelines. If it hadn't been for a flaw in the policy the Atco incident would not have happened. The company was just an escape goat. It looks bad if it is shown so early after the act was put in place that there is a big flaw with it.

I had tried to address that in the disability post to "V" I think real early when he asked if I knew of the medical and social definition of disability. and mentioned the Equality act.

No one is perfect and I pointed that out about myself in "chapter 1" post. By sharing the impairments, I openly admitted I am not perfect, If anything Far from it.
----------------------------------
----------------------------------

Here is something to think about especially, those accusing me of complaining. Was Martin Luther king complaining? No he said there was a problem he went into detain what that problem was he also reflects his personal issue to show how the problem impacted the African American people. By using a specific personal examples.

Things will never change unless someone stands up and says this is not right and fight for change to correct the wrong doing.

A very common tactic used to shut the person up, Chase them out of town(banning or telling them to go elsewhere), to accuse them of complaining, say there is nothing wrong, except with the person themselves, etc. There are MANY reasons this happens, Like "well if I got to suffer, so should you", or "I really don't want to see that my actions or inaction is doing harm", "I like how things are now", on and on. The 3 reasons I have listed, I have seen in the way some people posted in this thread.

Disabled rider
OK this PS is absolutely not open for discussion.

I am now about 10 pages behind it is going to take me some time to catch up, and to compound the problem, I have other stuff to address like getting policy locally changed, to accommodate equal access, Acquiring a new firearm for hunting, get my winter Homemade wear etc, ready for cycling.(like Homemade winterized wrap around chaps, with crotch/butt windbreak/insulation, homemade wool/fake fur hat, with big dog ears and face flap.

FYI I been around firearms since birth, My mother started out as a caretaker for the local firearm clubs range. I been trained in proper use and safety, and have endorsements on my drivers license, I have had access to loaded firearms , like military pistols, 12ga, 22, BB, 30-06 etc, even through the roughest parts of my life. I have not once thought of using the firearm in any fashion not legal.
I brought FYI up because I know at-least 1 person is going to freakout irrationally, if I did not post the FYI, hearing that I am looking for a hunting firearm 12ga. Who knows they will probably still freak out . Oldspice I am NOT on the forbidden list of possessing firearms. To ban me you would have to ban almost every single police officer, military personnel, body guard etc. Only reason I do not already have one in hand, is I had to give the ones I had to extended family, (no I can not get those back), when I went in to Adult foster care, I could not take them with me, It wasn't anything to do with me, it was fear that other people there, who were on the banned list, would get their hands on one. Like schizophrenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom