Deltics and Ships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
dunno about passenger units keeping lines open, most of the lines closed in N Wales were kept open for freight. Synthite used to run a fisons weedkiller train to the wrexham bidston line long after the passenger service on the line shut ( beeching ) . same for the mickle trafford dee marsh line , freight kept that open till ravenscraig shut and its purpose was gone. good thing about that line is its now a cycle path.

'Sprinterisation' certainly helped lines like the Settle and Carlise in the 1980s.

vbc

Not really a train buff myself but I remember going to London from Nottingham on school trip to see the Tutatkhamun exhibition in 1973 (I think). The train was a school special hauled, I'm pretty sure by a Deltic. Nice trip, and the exhibition was pretty damn good too.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Not sure what they're going to do with these now they've gone bust. Don't know what they are but they look like proper trains.

95feba65-dde9-316f.jpg

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes, Chilton are going to use them. I was talking to a mate of mine who is a driver at Marylebone the other day. At the moment Banbury Depot are the one's who are using them, but from December when the enhanced timetable comes in they will be used on the Marylebone to Birmingham more frequently. Also, they have added a couple of coaches to the formation so that the sets now have 6 coaches.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Not sure what they're going to do with these now they've gone bust. Don't know what they are but they look like proper trains.

95feba65-dde9-316f.jpg

That is a DVT you are looking at - it is just a guard's and luggage van with a driving cab stuck on. Also, the abomination which is at the other end, the class 67, is considerably worse. In fact, the only 'proper' bit about it is the mk3 coaches in between! (ok, so the DVT is a mark 3 also).

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Is that a 'Hall' in the platform opposite the Wessex train?

Wessex?? Hall??

(Pedant)No that is the former Wrexham train (/Pedant).

As for the Steam loco, it is in fact a non working replica of an early GWR class (after 1892 I mean) and is called 'The Queen'. IIRC.

Edit: bloody hell, according to Wikipedia it isn't, and it is a real GWR 2884 class. I am obviously getting it mixed up with something else.

(Pedant to self) Try and find out what you are talking about as it will bug you all night(/pedant to self).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes, I doubt a Deltic would have been working between Nottingham and London, but the Peaks most certainly were!

Oooh, get you!

As far as I can remember, Deltics never worked anywhere else on the main line other than from Kings Cross to the north. Peaks were the main traction on the former Midland mainline from St. Pancras to Nottingham/Leicester/Sheffield and to Glasgow over the leeds/Settle to Carlisle route

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
As far as I can remember, Deltics never worked anywhere else on the main line other than from Kings Cross to the north. Peaks were the main traction on the former Midland mainline from St. Pancras to Nottingham/Leicester/Sheffield and to Glasgow over the leeds/Settle to Carlisle route

They spread their wings a little wider after the HST's staeted to infiltrate the East Coast particulalry working trans-pennine services.

Top Bottom