Deltics and Ships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh, but they are dull. You don't like Deltics, NT (like me) thinks two car passenger trains are dull. Each to their own eh?

What I meant was that they have done a lot of work helping keep lins open which would otherwise have closed years ago and are now the backbone of the railways. Without them, the railways would considerable MORE boring!

If you are talking about the actual trains themselves, well, it depends, some of the modern ones are dull, yes, but the old ones where you could see out the front?? no loco could ever do that!
Actually, I grew up with the Glasgow Bluetrains, so I like my 'leccies :blush:

ANNYWAY, nobody could/can ever accuse the 'Thumpers' of being dull!

classic33

Leg End Member
I know they worked freights, but I thought they were mainly passenger locos and freight was rare for then??
Remember, there only 22 of them and they were the main power for the ECML expresses, so for one to be taken away from that to haul a train of 'Cartics?':wacko:

No, probably other similar looking classes you saw.

If thats the case I'll have to change what running on the layout.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The Deltics were favourites of the trainspotters who congregated at the southern end of platform 1 at Darlington Bank Top Station. We always tried to 'cab' locomotives i.e. get ourselves invited into the cabs of the locomotives as they waited. If we were really lucky we were taken into the engine rooms and the Deltic engine room was an awesome place to be. It was very cramped, hot and noisy when compared with the engine room of a late series class 25. Locomotive drivers were proud of their jobs and were keen to share their enthusiasm with us. On more than one ocassion I spent a couple of hours in the cabs of locomotives pootling around York railway depot and I was allowed to turn a class 20 on the turntable in the roundhouse of what is now part of York railway museum. Shed masters were a bit of a lottery - York's were nearly always receptive to taking young trainspotters out to the yard. Holbeck's were always violently hostile.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What I think it is about the Deltics is that, a bit like a Flying Scotsman or anything else like that, I am just put off by everyone constantly saying how wonderful they are and that sliced bread cannot come close.

Spitfires and Lancasters are the same to me, they just drive me away.

That said, I do like the Westerns, but I think that was more down to the fact that they (along with the rest of the Hydraulics) were different from the rest of the country and were killed off long before their time as a pose to being life expired.
I know that the Deltics were similar, but there were only 22 of them, whereas there were hundreds of Hydraulics, all just scrapped in their prime becuase they were seen as nonstandard.

I guess the GWR broad gauge was similar in many respects.

Mr Celine

Discordian
You were involved in the crash??

I was a 5 year old passenger in the sixth carriage, which was the last one that was completely derailed. I can still remember the crash and hanging around for hours afterwards waiting for the relief train.

(Locomotive DP2, the prototype of what became the class 50, collided with a derailed cement train at Thirsk in July 1967, killing 7 passengers.)

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Put on & run because I liked the look of both.

See comments posted about the picture of the cartic transporter to get an idea of the size

I know it's a model, I saw that the moment I saw the picture!! By the way, if you are a Deltic man, why are you named after a '33??:biggrin:

I was a 5 year old passenger in the sixth carriage, which was the last one that was completely derailed. I can still remember the crash and hanging around for hours afterwards waiting for the relief train.

(Locomotive DP2, the prototype of what became the class 50, collided with a derailed cement train at Thirsk in July 1967, killing 7 passengers.)

Ohh!! I bet that must have scared the pants off you at that age!!
I have only a vague memory of seeing pictures of DP2 all battered up, so I'll need to read up about that crash again.

Hope you recovered quickly.

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member

Crikey!

classic33

Leg End Member
I know it's a model, I saw that the moment I saw the picture!! By the way, if you are a Deltic man, why are you named after a '33??:biggrin:

Because there isn't, as far as I know, a Deltic bike/trike. There is however a classic 33 trike. Once had two of them pinched on me.

subaqua

What’s the point
dunno about passenger units keeping lines open, most of the lines closed in N Wales were kept open for freight. Synthite used to run a fisons weedkiller train to the wrexham bidston line long after the passenger service on the line shut ( beeching ) . same for the mickle trafford dee marsh line , freight kept that open till ravenscraig shut and its purpose was gone. good thing about that line is its now a cycle path.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Now THIS is my kind of train... (latest Japanese Bullet train)

article-1363767-0D7A2148000005DC-305_634x390.jpg

Top Bottom