Deltics and Ships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
@NT - IIRC there's a Deltic engine somewhere near Mallard in the NRM.

Not at the moment. At least the Deltic engine might be there, but Mallard has been kidnapped by Shildon for a spell.

Yes, it's been a while since I was there, NT, you'll have to pop over. My trike'll have your trike for breakfast though....;)

I have a soft spot for the Class 37, which looks not unlike the Deltic - you see a few of those if you look out of the window enough on a long journey. They make useful Thunderbirds* - I once saw two blat past my train in the other direction, heading for a diesel gala.

*Although the named Thunderbirds are 57s.

TVC

I've never told anybody before, but I really liked the Class 50. I know I'm weird, sorry, but I did.

snorri

Legendary Member
From my point of view the ship is far more interesting
Indeed it is the Pride of 2002, it's not so often we see a product of the Slovenske lodenice Komaro yard in UK waters. I see she was originally to be named 'Accumerseil' for Accumersiel Sg, but was launched into the Danube as 'Wani Pride' in April 2002 for Briese Schiffarts GmbH, a company formed by Captain Roelf Briese in 1983 with HQ at Leer in Germany. The same company renamed her 'Pride' in early 2005, sailing under the flag of Gibraltar.
Her main engine is a Klockner-Humboldt-Deutz AG SBV 6m 628 giving an output of 1128Kw at 600rpm. Aux power supplied from 2 x Cat 3306 DITA, and fitted with a Becker rudder and Jastrum BU bow thruster. Accommodation for 8 in 7 cabins.
She is loading rapeseed at Berwick. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Proto

Legendary Member
My dad had a mate who was a foreman at Finsbury Park loco depot and he sneaked me in to have a look around. The blue/yellow Deltic prototype was in at the time so we climbed up and had a play. This was about 1960, I think.

Personally, I was more of a 'Western' fan!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hang on a second. Arch. You are a girl. With an interest in locomotives. Indeed, you know stuff about locomotives!!!!!

Cripes! If I were single (and, before you say it, twenty five years younger)..............

Arch

Married to Night Train
hang on a second. Arch. You are a girl. With an interest in locomotives. Indeed, you know stuff about locomotives!!!!!

Cripes! If I were single (and, before you say it, twenty five years younger)..............

It has been mentioned in various circles that a girl with an interest in oily stuff is a bonus...

I spent this afternoon lying on the ground chipping a winter's worth of road muck and silt out of the wheel arches of an electric truck. I know how to get really dirty....

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It has been mentioned in various circles that a girl with an interest in oily stuff is a bonus...

I spent this afternoon lying on the ground chipping a winter's worth of road muck and silt out of the wheel arches of an electric truck. I know how to get really dirty....
the shade of Sir John Betjeman is stirring....

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The Deltic will be pulling a special service for enthusiasts. I saw one at York a couple of months back while I was waiting for a train. There were a lot of people taking pictures, prompting a lady next to me on the platform to ask what was so special about it. I'm not sure I convinced her of its heritage status.

I'm not surprised, I'm a Western Man myself!! :biggrin:

[QUOTE 1329900"]
A lot of the more mature rail enthusiasts hated and still hate the deltics, as they whistled out the steam loco.
[/quote]

DRONED THE STEAM OUT MORE LIKE!!

Bloody hate Deltics I do, all they do is drone.

Back in the 70's my school was next to the North London line and as kids we used to climb up the playground fencing to watch the trains go past. The other kids were into the two car passenger trains (boring)

Units are the backbone of the railway and have helped save many a line from closure. Far from boring methinks.

but I would look out for the Deltics. They would have massively long goods trains and I would count the trucks as they went past. There were the open goods wagons, long trains of containers and sometimes car transporters that were wavey.

I know they worked freights, but I thought they were mainly passenger locos and freight was rare for then??
Remember, there only 22 of them and they were the main power for the ECML expresses, so for one to be taken away from that to haul a train of 'Cartics?':wacko:

No, probably other similar looking classes you saw.

Quite apart from the sound, the Deltics just looked right. As of course did DP2, which was built on a Deltic chassis, and was a locomotive I'll never forget as I was a passenger on the last train it hauled.

You were involved in the crash??

I remember the Deltics running out of Yor when I was at school there in the 80s. At least, I think I do

Withdrawl was the 2nd of January 1982. Work it out from that.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Deltics do have a unique (and to my ears, rather good) sound.
The Class 37 to which m'learned friend refers earlier look like them, but sound much more agricultural.
IMHO, obviously.

Now, an engine I'd really like to have heard is the Leader.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm not a 'spotter' but i wtched the Deltic film (to see if i could hear how it sounds, and to put off the work i should be doing)... the guy giving it a kiss at the end!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yes, that guy just shows what a bunch of TOTAL VEG Deltic fans really are!! :biggrin:

I had to laugh at the guy at the end too. We have a 'chuffernut' at Gatwick Express who will love that clip. I shall show him tonight if he's on my train.
For me though, I miss the 73s though we have a couple for yard duties (and the occasional rescue) at Stewarts Lane depot. I wish we had a 'pilot though' they're great!

I always liked the '73s becuase they were different from everything else and also becuase I lived/live at the wrong end of the country, so they (along with everything else southern) became very exotic to me and I loved it all!!:blush:

[QUOTE 1329931"]
You're not the only one. I remember many a Cornwall holiday watching a class 50 pull the sleeper train out of Penzance in the evening.
[/quote]

MEH, WESTERNS, WARSHIPS, HYMEKS!!

Personally, I was more of a 'Western' fan!

A man with taste I see!!

I'm a bit of a Class 50 fan as well. And I really like the Class 47 (aka the Brush Type 4)

Deltic, Logs and now DUFFS!! :wacko:

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 28
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 20

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Deltics do have a unique (and to my ears, rather good) sound.
The Class 37 to which m'learned friend refers earlier look like them, but sound much more agricultural.
IMHO, obviously.

All the Deltics did was DRONE, at least the likes of the '37s have a sound that consists of more than one element!! :tongue:

Now, an engine I'd really like to have heard is the Leader.

Any of the Prototypes, but especially the gas turbine 18000 and 18100 ....and the prototype APT, of course!

....And GT2 ...and ....well, you get the picture.

Top Bottom