Deltics and Ships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The class 5700 pannier tank also became a favorite and that was completely down to the Rev W Awdry with a hint of the original Railway Children film.

gwrpannierweb.jpg

That would be Duck

Rhythm Thief

Legendary Member
I remember the Deltics running out of Yor when I was at school there in the 80s. At least, I think I do ... I suppose I could just have caught the tail end of the Deltic era. I certainly remember the HST 125s being new and exciting, and "spotting" lots of now defunct classes like Class 40, 45, 25 and 03. You could see the station yard from our school; I must have missed a lot of stuff during lessons for gazing out of the window.:biggrin:

asterix

Comrade Member
Don't talk to me about flipping diesels. When I worked for BR (Shipping Division) they used to park one of those things under my office window. Stank the place out and what a din!

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I reckon the car transporter pictured above is a model.
@NT - IIRC there's a Deltic engine somewhere near Mallard in the NRM.
There's also one of the Deltic locos - possibly a class 23 Baby Deltic but I'm not sure.

I think the one at the NRM is 55002, Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI). Probably a coincidence but acquired at a time when the NRM's curator was Dr Coiley. Ran on the mainline for a while but I think its static only now.

None of the Baby Deltics survived, their withdrawal came while the preservation movement was still focussed on steam. There is however a survivng baby deltic engine and work is afoot to create a replica class 23 instaling it in an adapted Class 37 body. I can't find a refernence atm but there have been a couple of recent articles in the railway mags about it.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The Ton class minesweepers used as Patrol Boats in Hong Kong had pairs of deltic diesels as their main engines and a smaller deltic for the generator.

All very nice, but Scimitar had gas turbines. Now that had Va Va Voom.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSbmBhFnQk

'you've got extreme power at the end of your hands'. The newsreader turned out to be a half-decent cyclist.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm not a 'spotter' but i wtched the Deltic film (to see if i could hear how it sounds, and to put off the work i should be doing)... the guy giving it a kiss at the end!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 16
  • laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 14

subaqua

What’s the point
not a spotter but a bit of a fan of our railway heritage. I have to admit to being more of a steam nut though.

that deltic video made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I prefer the class 37 though, has a elegant design about it.

I had to laugh at the guy at the end too. We have a 'chuffernut' at Gatwick Express who will love that clip. I shall show him tonight if he's on my train.

For me though, I miss the 73s though we have a couple for yard duties (and the occasional rescue) at Stewarts Lane depot. I wish we had a 'pilot though' they're great!

Brains

Legendary Member
Enough about the Deltics.
From my point of view the ship is far more interesting
I think it's the PRIDE, IMO 9252931, which is a 3,000dwt bulker built in 2002

Top Bottom