Deltics and Ships

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I love Deltics, both the locomotive and the engine.:smile:

I also have a soft spot for the Clas 08 0-6-0 diesel shunter.
Pa107796.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
The Deltic will be pulling a special service for enthusiasts. I saw one at York a couple of months back while I was waiting for a train. There were a lot of people taking pictures, prompting a lady next to me on the platform to ask what was so special about it. I'm not sure I convinced her of its heritage status.

TVC

Ah the Deltic Diesel engine, three crankshafts and two opposed pistons in each cylinder, the most improbable and complicated engine arrangement that Lanchester thought of, but what a sound.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
could hear in the distance a noise I have not heard for probably 30+ years, knew at an instance what it was. I have no idea what this was doing but so lucky to have seen it.
DelticatDrem.jpg

Used to do a bit of train spotting as a child and the Deltics were my favourite, 3300 horse power of pure muscle

You lucky devil, I have never seen or heard one in action, only museum sightings for me. I got into trains about 5 or 6 years too late (I am only a young pup) but always loved the Deltic cult status. 110mph in an age when most things travelled at much less and there was still steam trains in use.

I love Deltics, both the locomotive and the engine.:smile:

I also have a soft spot for the Clas 08 0-6-0 diesel shunter.
Pa107796.jpg

I also like the shunter locos and had 2 on my N gauge model railway. I went on an enthusiast railway tour in the eighties with a triple header named class 20's (River Rother, River Don and River Sheaf) from Sheffield to the south coast and the last few miles were hauled by a class 09 shunter (slowly).

Since reading Thomas the Tank Engine stories to my kids I have had my doubts about the shunters though because of Devious Diesel and Arry and Bert the scrappies!

snorri

Legendary Member
there was a ship coming in, in all the years I have been going to Berwick I have never see a ship come in, didn't even know ships this size got into Berwick, today was the day though.
I'm surprised that you have never seen a ship on your visits. The vessel in your pic. had sailed up from the Humber and is typical of the size and type to be seen at Berwick. Principle cargoes include fertiliser, grains, cement, animal feed and timber. Unusual cargoes such as wind turbine blades and towers have also been handled.

Night Train

Maker of Things
You lucky devil, I have never seen or heard one in action, only museum sightings for me.
Back in the 70's my school was next to the North London line and as kids we used to climb up the playground fencing to watch the trains go past. The other kids were into the two car passenger trains (boring) but I would look out for the Deltics. They would have massively long goods trains and I would count the trucks as they went past. There were the open goods wagons, long trains of containers and sometimes car transporters that were wavey.
hornby-R6397.jpg

Since reading Thomas the Tank Engine stories to my kids I have had my doubts about the shunters though because of Devious Diesel and Arry and Bert the scrappies!
Devious Diesel was horrid but the Class 08 in reality was just a solid hard working loco.
This one used to be a regular sight near me, trundling around Trafford Park industrial estate. I haven't seen it for a while though.
[media]
]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r17_1tXg7Rs&feature=related[/media]

The class 5700 pannier tank also became a favorite and that was completely down to the Rev W Awdry with a hint of the original Railway Children film.

gwrpannierweb.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Back in the 70's my school was next to the North London line and as kids we used to climb up the playground fencing to watch the trains go past. The other kids were into the two car passenger trains (boring) but I would look out for the Deltics. They would have massively long goods trains and I would count the trucks as they went past. There were the open goods wagons, long trains of containers and sometimes car transporters that were wavey.
hornby-R6397.jpg

You'd not get many cars on that. It's a lttle over 18 inches in length.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Quite apart from the sound, the Deltics just looked right. As of course did DP2, which was built on a Deltic chassis, and was a locomotive I'll never forget as I was a passenger on the last train it hauled.

Claytons, on the other hand, just looked wrong.

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
I reckon the car transporter pictured above is a model.
@NT - IIRC there's a Deltic engine somewhere near Mallard in the NRM.
There's also one of the Deltic locos - possibly a class 23 Baby Deltic but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom