cricket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

rich p said:
I've already told you it's too subtle for you, Bonjy. Give it up!
As User482 says the bouncer has many uses apart from getting caught. The West Indians perfected it as a way to intimidate batsmen onto the back foot with a view to getting them with a yorker but of course you knew that really.

This 'subtlety' you speak of - is just one of the many ways cricket has of looking nice to its audience, but it is just ways that cricket fans have dreamt up to make it look a lot more difficult than it actually is.

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Leverage and the laws of centrifugal force, you pillock. :smile:

There's no such thing as centrifugal force, it is a pseudo-force which actually describes the reaction force exerted on a body against centripetal force, the force which causes acceleration towards the centre of rotation.
If you think wrong, perhaps you could care to explain by what means "centriFUGAL" force cause a cricket ball to be propelled from the bowler's hand at 90mph. Bear in mind i have got a degree in physics so anything remotely incorrect will likely result in you being shot down in flames.

U

User482

bonj said:
if the batter is unsure of what type of bowl he's going to do, then all he needs to do is do a 'block' shot - i.e. duck, and swing the bat in front of the stumps, so that if the ball is going to hit him/the stumps, it hits the bat first.
Anyhow, what's your point? i don't claim that cricket is never difficult, in that you're more likely to be able to do a good shot if you've got good reactions, but it doesn't mean it's particularly exersional.

You've basically put forward a classic text-book straw man argument User482, as is your normal tactic. I've claimed that cricket isn't exersional, which it isn't, and you're arguing against the argument that says it isn't difficult, which is a more preposterous argument. As it happens i don't think it is particularly difficult, but that's not the argument i've made, because it isn't entirely true.

What you think isn't relevant or interesting, as you've ably demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about the game. If the batsman follows your advice in your first paragraph, he will end up in hospital very quickly.

Andy Pandy

Bowling at over 90mph is not the difficult part, lots of people can do it. It bowling at that speed, landing it on a foot square each time and controlling the way it bounces after it pitches that is the difficult bit. It takes a lot of exertion.

bonj2

User482 said:
What you think isn't relevant or interesting, as you've ably demonstrated that you don't know the first thing about the game. If the batsman follows your advice in your first paragraph, he will end up in hospital very quickly.

Absolute shite.
Care to explain, exactly HOW he is going to end up in hospital very quickly?

bonj2

User482 said:

he could dodge to the SIDE and hold the bat in front of the stumps

bonj2

User1314 said:
Or, as in 1986, just bowling into Gatting's nose and squashing it.

Apparently Lamb walked one innings in that series, even though he knew he never touched the ball, as he didn't want to face the Windies bowling.

they wear helmets and body armour nowadays so even if they ball hits them they're not going to be particularly injured.

U

User482

bonj said:
Absolute shite.
Care to explain, exactly HOW he is going to end up in hospital very quickly?

Batsman ducks. Ball doesn't bounce high. Bat narrower than batsman.

Oh and yes, I have seen it happen.

U

User482

bonj said:
they wear helmets and body armour nowadays so even if they ball hits them they're not going to be particularly injured.

Fingers can and do break even if wearing protective gloves.

bonj said:
There's no such thing as centrifugal force, it is a pseudo-force which actually describes the reaction force exerted on a body against centripetal force, the force which causes acceleration towards the centre of rotation.
If you think wrong, perhaps you could care to explain by what means "centriFUGAL" force cause a cricket ball to be propelled from the bowler's hand at 90mph. Bear in mind i have got a degree in physics so anything remotely incorrect will likely result in you being shot down in flames.
If you have a degree in physics then it must have been awarded by your mum, because you clearly know f*ck all.
The only pseudo force at work here is your intellect. :smile:

bonj2

User482 said:
Fingers can and do break even if wearing protective gloves.

you'd have to be very unlucky to have your fingers broke, especially as your fingers are moving at the time the ball reaches you.
What's this, turned from 'cricket is physically exersionary' to 'well you might get your fingers broke?' scraping the bottom of the barrel here a bit aren't we User482...

bonj2

User482 said:
Batsman ducks. Ball doesn't bounce high. Bat narrower than batsman.

Oh and yes, I have seen it happen.

Well he must have been quite stupid not to hold the bat at the same height as the ball then. It's not hard, i have played it before you know! And with people doing overarm bowls not just kid's cricket in the back garden with a dogeaten tennis ball.

Top Bottom