Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
You'll be fine. It's a while off yet - just ride some more hills. It's all about pacing yourself and finding a comfortable rhythm. I looked at your Strava ride and reckon you just killed yourself on that climb in Dollar - gloom hill? - 0.8km at 15.3% ave, that would truly shred the legs and deplete your glycogen leaving you feeling wrecked for sure!

I think i went off too fast aswell, although my first hour was flat i still done an 16.8 avg speed which is a good bit more than i can really cope with, i think its fine if i was just doing my usual 40 mile route but i wanted to do about 80 on saturday

edindave

Über Member
I think i went off too fast aswell, although my first hour was flat i still done an 16.8 avg speed which is a good bit more than i can really cope with, i think its fine if i was just doing my usual 40 mile route but i wanted to do about 80 on saturday

There you go then!
Case closed. ;)

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Attending
1.Col5632
2.Edwardoka
3.Rasmus
4.Tug Benson
5.Jazloc
6.Edindave
7.Louch
8.Clockhammer
9.Fubar
10.GBC
11.The Cappuccino Kid
12.Seamab

Maybe Attending
1.Fuzzball
2.Mr Messy
3.Harry_Palmer79

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Unfortunately I can't make it, as I've got another cycling "appointment" on 6th July .. training as a British Cycling ride leader, and am told we'll be riding a grand total of 10-15 miles around Edinburgh :scratch: . I shall be on my best behaviour :angel:.

T
I, too need to be trained to British Cycle standard 1 level**, so am not available to join you on your sunny jaunt :rain: round Arran - 'Scotland in miniature'.

Have a lovely day and eat lots of CAKE ! :hungry:

**I might even be awarded something :hyper: - if I'm good enough :unsure:

Fubar

Guru
I, too need to be trained to British Cycle standard 1 level**, so am not available to join you on your sunny jaunt :rain: round Arran - 'Scotland in miniature'.

Have a lovely day and eat lots of CAKE ! :hungry:

**I might even be awarded something :hyper: - if I'm good enough :unsure:

In other words Cycling Proficiency... :whistle:

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Well after a terrible saturday on the bike, i'm tempted to change my mind to route 2, maybe feel better after a good day on the bike but saturday showed me im not ready for 'big' hilly miles just yet :heat:

The castle campbell road is tough and isn`t like any other climbs, you don`t really get a break in it, it maybe be short but it`s very steep, i doubt we will have anything like that in Arran....get yourself over to the hills out of dunning...just maybe stay away from the dragon just now

The castle campbell road is tough and isn`t like any other climbs, you don`t really get a break in it, it maybe be short but it`s very steep, i doubt we will have anything like that in Arran....get yourself over to the hills out of dunning...just maybe stay away from the dragon just now
Sorry to disappoint, but there are plenty of short nasty climbs in the south of the island...

Seamab

Welcome to Dollar Colin! The only way is up...
What road did you go up - Law Hill? I take it you didn't go up to the Castle as thats a dead end but stupidly steep.

Longer rides are all about pacing (especially at the start) and climbing within your capabilities and it takes quite a while to build up stamina. I've done very few long rides the past couple of years and it shows. The Arran trip is a CC Ecosse ride (NOT A SPORTIVE) so i expect that we all wait at the top of the hills to regroup. I'm going to have fun and enjoy Arran never having cycled there before - I'm not aiming to go round at a blistering pace. Hills are as hills are - if you're feeling good then you go up at a good pace if not just select the granny gear grimace and spin.

Plenty of time yet to build that endurance. Maybe we need a June ride to prepare?

edindave

Über Member
Welcome to Dollar Colin! The only way is up...
What road did you go up - Law Hill? I take it you didn't go up to the Castle as thats a dead end but stupidly steep.

Longer rides are all about pacing (especially at the start) and climbing within your capabilities and it takes quite a while to build up stamina. I've done very few long rides the past couple of years and it shows. The Arran trip is a CC Ecosse ride (NOT A SPORTIVE) so i expect that we all wait at the top of the hills to regroup. I'm going to have fun and enjoy Arran never having cycled there before - I'm not aiming to go round at a blistering pace. Hills are as hills are - if you're feeling good then you go up at a good pace if not just select the granny gear grimace and spin.

Plenty of time yet to build that endurance. Maybe we need a June ride to prepare?

^This

(or to be more precise, at the end of the Strava segment :laugh:)

And can we also wait and regroup at the bottom of the descents?
Some of us are slightly lacking in Potential Energy ;)

Top Bottom