Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fubar

Guru
Well I'm back from Cornwall, glad to see you're all in one piece (almost!). Im still on for and looking forward to the ride! Just a thought, is the 09:45 ferry the first of the day? I'm sure I saw someone recommending to Col on FB to get the earliest ferry possible otherwise its pretty busy. Would mean an early start for us but I'm up for it - any thoughts??

edindave

Über Member
Well I'm back from Cornwall, glad to see you're all in one piece (almost!). Im still on for and looking forward to the ride! Just a thought, is the 09:45 ferry the first of the day? I'm sure I saw someone recommending to Col on FB to get the earliest ferry possible otherwise its pretty busy. Would mean an early start for us but I'm up for it - any thoughts??

Welcome back!

There is an earlier crossing at 0700.
But the 0945 is the earliest one with a rail connection from Glasgow Central.

Timetable here.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Wee update, LBS is busy so I won't have my rear wheel looked at until Saturday, hope it gets fixed this weekend then my bike isn't booked in until the start if next week to get the clicking noise fixed, if they fix the wheel I can deal with the clicking if it helps me make this ride

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Wee update, LBS is busy so I won't have my rear wheel looked at until Saturday, hope it gets fixed this weekend then my bike isn't booked in until the start if next week to get the clicking noise fixed, if they fix the wheel I can deal with the clicking if it helps me make this ride

I'm getting my bike back today, rear hub was buggered and they sound pretty sure that fixing that has got rid of the 'clunking' noise i had

D

Deleted member 20519

You been out on bike much recently?

I've been trying to get out as much as I can but only for 20ish miles, haven't done any proper distances at all this year which is making me worry if I can do this ride or not.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I've been trying to get out as much as I can but only for 20ish miles, haven't done any proper distances at all this year which is making me worry if I can do this ride or not.

Only you know if you are ready for it, just remember its a long way from home and none of us will be able to drive you home if you cant make it

edindave

Über Member

Back away from the rusty steel frame and go out and ride your bike!
If you need to build your confidence on the distance maybe you can manage to get out for a 20m, 30m, and 40m ride between now and then? As for the hills, well that's what rear derailleurs were invented for. :thumbsup:

Arran is quite lumpy (particularly in the south) and it's a hard 56 miles, plus, if you're halfway round and realise you don't have enough left in the tank, there's no easy way back to the ferry. I'd aim for a big hilly ride (40 miles+) before Monday, see how you get on.

Top Bottom