Scotland : Ayrshire & Arran CC Arran Cycle - Sat 6th July 2013

Which Route will you do?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Will be getting a new tyre tomorrow for my bike, done with the gatorskins, going for the specialized armadillo, up at St. Andrews all week so I hope to get a couple of rides around the Tay this week, might even do the St. Andrews
sportive route

edindave

Über Member
Is there a way to show the elevation on route two? Want to get it in my head what I will be coming across on the day

The 'Arran Discussion Thread' has both routes, elevation profiles and links to the rwgps routes in it. Sorry - would just post a link to it but I'm on my phone.

Booyaa

Veteran
Just a heads up, there is a charity ride from my work going round Arran on the same day as this ride. There should be about 20 to 30 riders doing it and planning on getting the ferry across. Will double check times but it could be fairly busy with cyclists. Unfortunately I am away on holiday so will miss this.

edindave

Über Member
Thanks Booyaa - best get to the ferry terminal early then folks.

Machrie Tea Room's gonna be busy ^_^
Think I might have to bring my emergency pie just in case of shortages :mrpig:

edindave

Über Member
For everyone's benefit, especially those new to the thread or thinking about coming along, route details below...

Route 1 - link to RWGPS route here.

107.7km (66.9mi) / 1,741m (5,713ft). (Ascent/total distance = 1.62%)

Brodick - south down coast to Lamlash - Ross Rd (Glen Scorradale) - follow coast road round south coast and back up to Brodick - String Rd - Machrie - North round coast and back to Brodick.

full.png

elevation_profile.jpg

Route 2 - link to RWGPS route here.

89.4km (55.5mi) / 1,224m (4,017ft) ascent. (Ascent/total distance = 1.37%)

Clockwise route round the coast.

full.png

elevation_profile.jpg

Get In The Van

Not sure if your route takes you on this section, but according to our club forum the section between Blackwaterfoot and Corriecravie (about 5 miles) is closed..or was closed? maybe best to see if you can get an update on the local roads if indeed your route takes you this way.
It may be open again in time for your jaunt though
:thumbsup:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Not sure if your route takes you on this section, but according to our club forum the section between Blackwaterfoot and Corriecravie (about 5 miles) is closed..or was closed? maybe best to see if you can get an update on the local roads if indeed your route takes you this way.
It may be open again in time for your jaunt though
:thumbsup:

According to North Ayrshire council, those roadworks should be finishing today. Might be worth keeping an eye out for new ones, though...

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Was reading up on Arran as was bored at work, found this link that got me through 15 mins

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A13345805

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I think I am going to struggle to make this ride, am having to many issues with my bike just now..doing the lepra ride my rear tyre exploded, got a new armadillo tyre on Monday, went for a ride on Monday night everything was fine, then I planned on doing a 70 mile ride on Tuesday at about the 40 mile mark I could hear a noise coming from my tyre that sounded like my tyre was flat yet it wasn't, I got the girlfriend to pick me up, as I was putting the bike in the van I noticed that my rear tyre had a bubble on it, the bubble was on the ridge of the tyre the part that is always on contact with the road, the bubble was about 1cm wide and about 10cm long, I thought it was maybe the tyre was faulty so I took it back to the shop and they were happy to replace the tyre, so I get home and change the tyre, I puncture the tube when am changing the tyre lucky I had a few spare tubes, so I replace the tube, I inflate the tyre sit it against my bike and the bloody thing explodes, that's another new tyre wrecked... So far in the last couple of weeks I've went through 3 rear tyre and about 5 tubes.....this bike is costing me a fortune and on top of all that I've still got this horrible clicking noise when I put pressure in the pedals......if I can get everything fixed I will be there but only if my bike is perfect its to far to take a risk with a bike that isn't 100%

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I think I am going to struggle to make this ride, am having to many issues with my bike just now..doing the lepra ride my rear tyre exploded, got a new armadillo tyre on Monday, went for a ride on Monday night everything was fine, then I planned on doing a 70 mile ride on Tuesday at about the 40 mile mark I could hear a noise coming from my tyre that sounded like my tyre was flat yet it wasn't, I got the girlfriend to pick me up, as I was putting the bike in the van I noticed that my rear tyre had a bubble on it, the bubble was on the ridge of the tyre the part that is always on contact with the road, the bubble was about 1cm wide and about 10cm long, I thought it was maybe the tyre was faulty so I took it back to the shop and they were happy to replace the tyre, so I get home and change the tyre, I puncture the tube when am changing the tyre lucky I had a few spare tubes, so I replace the tube, I inflate the tyre sit it against my bike and the bloody thing explodes, that's another new tyre wrecked... So far in the last couple of weeks I've went through 3 rear tyre and about 5 tubes.....this bike is costing me a fortune and on top of all that I've still got this horrible clicking noise when I put pressure in the pedals......if I can get everything fixed I will be there but only if my bike is perfect its to far to take a risk with a bike that isn't 100%

What pressure are you putting in the tubes? Whats the max the tyre can cope with? Is your pump faulty? I've done about 1,000ish miles on my new bike with the tyres at 100psi and never had any bother and thats with tyres costing me £12 each.

Top Bottom