Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
Just checked, and I need to donate in the next 18 months if I'm going to continue beyond then, as I'll be 67, and you can only donate beyond 66 if you are an existing donor who has donated in the last two years.

So I've looked it up, and booked to donate after work on 13th August.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I haven't seen any posters or other adverts for a session. I should be more proactive about that.

That suggests they could do with an advertising campaign to raise awareness.

There are at least 10 venues near me where i can donate (if not for my low bp).

Just had a look at the postcode checker. 19 sites within 10 miles, although Surrey villages are reasonably well-served...

That suggests they could do with an advertising campaign to raise awareness.

There are at least 10 venues near me where i can donate (if not for my low bp).

Just had a look at the postcode checker. 19 sites within 10 miles, although Surrey villages are reasonably well-served...

They don;t seem to be as dynamic as they might be
In the old days I seem to remember drop in sessions all over the place where you could just turn up in a hall or something

Big companies used to have special days for their employees as well - which is how I started

lazybloke

Considering a new username
They don;t seem to be as dynamic as they might be
The donation service bus used to park up outside our work office; was rather marvelous because anyone that donated was allowed to have the rest of the day off (the rest of the day would usually start in the local pub).

I've visited one of the permanent donating centres in London, they're all over the country. Very busy places - appts have to be prebooked.
Although it looks like even the village halls only operate with booked appts now.

I encourage all to use the search tools an book their donation.

England: https://my.blood.co.uk/your-account/where-to-donate/search/
Wales: https://www.welsh-blood.org.uk/giving-blood/
Scotland: https://www.scotblood.co.uk/
NI: https://nibts.hscni.net/donating-blood/where-to-donate/

vickster

Legendary Member
My employer gives paid time off to donate as a CSR (now ESG) initiative. I unfortunately can no longer donate due to my AF :angry: I did get yesterday afternoon off to go cycling with a few colleagues for another similar initiative :thumbsup:

november4

I started recently as relative needed blood. Really hate needles, but second time was easy, fears faced. Wish I'd starred decades ago tbh, an easy help for hospitals

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No joy with today's attempt at donoring due to low haemoglobin. 123 g/l instead of the minimum of 135 g/l..
Next donation us booked for October but I've been advised to get a blood test with Daktari in September to check if I need summat done.
Meanwhile, I'll eat more spinach etc..
Shame if I have to stop after 70 pints but if I do.. So it goes.

May I suggest you take one of these Sainsbury’s Iron Tablets daily, they’re cheap as chips. Since I’ve been taking these last October I haven’t had a refusal when donating platelets and plasma. Donate about twice a month.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
May I suggest you take one of these Sainsbury’s Iron Tablets daily, they’re cheap as chips. Since I’ve been taking these last October I haven’t had a refusal when donating platelets and plasma. Donate about twice a month.

I take multi-vit with iron (14mg, I believe) plus bump up my iron intake via diet before donating. This time it wasn't high enough for me to donate, sadly..
I'll check out your suggestion, thanks.

Alex321

Guru
What’s a 325 donation?

I'm guessing he means 325th. If you donate plasma/platelets, you can give much more often than you can with whole blood - and they count each donation as two, since they actually take twice as much out even though they put half of it back.

I did plasma/platelets for just over a year, and something like 26 donations credited (giving every 4 weeks).

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm guessing he means 325th. If you donate plasma/platelets, you can give much more often than you can with whole blood - and they count each donation as two, since they actually take twice as much out even though they put half of it back.

I did plasma/platelets for just over a year, and something like 26 donations credited (giving every 4 weeks).

Correct, except with platelets and plasma you get three credits, and for 12 years on and off I’ve tried to go every two weeks.

ETA that for two years I had to stop P&P donations and do whole blood only which is every 3-4 months.

Top Bottom