Bike envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like a nice looking bike but could never afford to buy one outright. So I built them.
Each week I would add a new part and eventually they get finished. None of them ever had top of the line parts but I did get alot of comments from other cyclists admiring them.
There are much nicer looking more expensive bikes out there but when I look at mine, at least I can say I built it myself and it didn't wreck my finances.

Cyclist.....athlete doesn't come into it. I gave up competing years ago and love nothing more than pootling about at 5mph with my dog beside me :smile:

Same here. I've had some *very* nice comments about my bikes, despite none of them being particularly fancy. More often than not, when someone compliments them, it's usually because people are surprised that well-kitted out bikes can come in such small sizes.

I have two bikes in bits. One is a project (1950s boy's tourer with rod brakes), and the other is my old MTB that I use to practice maintenance tasks on. Of the three bikes that I use regularly, only the road bike was bought new, and that was eight years ago. The hybrid (which is my go-to bike and the best specced) was bought used from someone here on Cycle Chat, while my vintage steel MTB was bought at the tip during lockdown for the price of a couple of pizzas, stripped, and rebuilt with significant upgrades.

The only other two bikes I may consider if I really feel I need them are a drop-bar gravel bike / tourer and possibly a folder. But since the three bikes I have serve my needs well enough as things currently stand, my wallet remains quite firmly closed. The only things I've bought since finishing the MTB build are consumables like tyres, tubes, cables and the like.

And if I read one more "Bike tester" calling a sub 2k bike entry level...

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I deal with OPs issue by having a bike that, I think, is perfect. It's a lovely blood-red frame with a mechanical setup and rim brakes, and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. No compromises were made on the aesthetics nor the quality, and I regret nothing - it's spot on exactly as I like. I bought the frame and all the components separately and put it together myself so it also feels personal; one of a kind; born through passion. It's not the lightest, most aero, modern or expensive setup but it looks and feels like nothing else - I've no reasons to envy anyone because in my mind I have the best thing possible.

So I’ve been riding for about 10 years. I’m currently riding a 2018 TCR advanced rim brake, and have a Cannondale CAAD 12 as a spare. Both 105 mechanical, and rim brake, both on 50mm deep section carbon wheels. Recent joined a local cycling club and everyone there has modern 5k+ road bikes. I’m the only one running rim brake and 105 mechanical. So how do you deal with coming up against this issue. I’ve no idea where anyone gets the funds to purchase kit like this. I’ve looked into buying a new bike but what I can get for the money seems ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong I ride the fast group and I keep up (not on the descents in the wet) but I feel a bit poverty shamed. How does anyone else deal with this?

Plenty of people have an awful lot of money in savings and investments etc. So some may have bought a bike from their savings etc or through bike to work or got a loan or maybe some of its a gift from a family member/ partner etc.
In the grand scheme of things £5K plus on a bike is nothing to people who have some money.
Don't feel ashamed, even if you were on a £50 bike bike there's nothing to feel ashamed about. Life isn't a competition in keeping up with the Joneses.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I deal with OPs issue by having a bike that, I think, is perfect. It's a lovely blood-red frame with a mechanical setup and rim brakes, and I wouldn't swap it for anything else. No compromises were made on the aesthetics nor the quality, and I regret nothing - it's spot on exactly as I like. I bought the frame and all the components separately and put it together myself so it also feels personal; one of a kind; born through passion. It's not the lightest, most aero, modern or expensive setup but it looks and feels like nothing else - I've no reasons to envy anyone because in my mind I have the best thing possible.

Pics please!

Baldy

Veteran
I don't get this, when I meet someone I look at their face, not what they're riding. I doubt I'd know what the difference is between my £700 bike and one costing silly money.

bobzmyunkle

Über Member
LOL! Nearly spat my coffee out.

I'm definitely NOT an "athlete", I'm just someone who enjoys cycling.

Amuses me when I sign up for a club ride on Strava. 'You and n other athletes are going'.
Which, of course, implies I'm an athlete. There'll be a few posh bikes around as well, but rarely overt bike snobbery.

Top Bottom