Bike envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
TCR is a great bike 😀
Never mind them, just enjoy your ride 👍🏼

How about a1998 TCR, my latest bike ...

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
LOL! Nearly spat my coffee out.

I'm definitely NOT an "athlete", I'm just someone who enjoys cycling.

Reminds me of when I used to go running and I'd turned up at the start of a half marathon. We were all standing around and a guy turned up shouting "athletes this way". It never crossed my mind that he could be referring to me. I assumed they were setting the athletes off first and then the rest of us. But no, he was referring to all participants.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's brilliant isn't it?

Videos and magazines that we consume and leave us wanting things we hadn't known existed!

What happens is people read this stuff and become persuaded that not only us the right gear necessary, but it's expected of you.

Once the industry has cleverly planted this seed the reader becomes paranoid. They worry that they are going to be found out. They start believing that random strangers are looking at their bikes and judging them. The only way out of this paranoid hell is to buy more stuff.

Of course, in reality, no one gives a damn about you or your bike and nobody even notices you.

But to the fevered imagination of someone suffering from media induced paranoia there's a bike snob lurking round every corner, judging them. And it won't stop until they buy more stuff

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I like a nice looking bike but could never afford to buy one outright. So I built them.
Each week I would add a new part and eventually they get finished. None of them ever had top of the line parts but I did get alot of comments from other cyclists admiring them.
There are much nicer looking more expensive bikes out there but when I look at mine, at least I can say I built it myself and it didn't wreck my finances.

Cyclist.....athlete doesn't come into it. I gave up competing years ago and love nothing more than pootling about at 5mph with my dog beside me :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh no – I throw my valve caps away. Have I been doing it wrong?

Yes, and everyone has noticed and has been pointing at you and laughing behind your back. ;)

Sorry to break it to you.

Boopop

Guru
Among other bikes, I've got a modern 2021 Orbea Orca, and a 2012 Triban 3 that I've put an electronic wireless groupset (Wheeltop) on.

I love both bikes, and the Orbea is a fantastic ride. That said, the T3 is what I got in to cycling properly with, I've done the majority of my cycle tours on, and I've had it for 12 years now. Countless scrapes, dinks and scratches on the frame. Modern features are nice, but sentimental value counts for something too (along with new handlebar tape!) :smile:
1728989538091.png

slow horse

Yes, and everyone has noticed and has been pointing at you and laughing behind your back. ;)

Sorry to break it to you.
And I always thought they were laughing with me at something hilarious I had just said. Another shattered illusion, thanks a lot.

As for envy, having being unable able to afford the latest and greatest mostly brings relief. I'm happy with what I have.

Top Bottom