Bike envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For me to be envious of a bike it has to look nice , be a nice colour and shiny. I can't stand matt finishes, or black, grey or brown colours unless they have some other means of brightening them up.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used to do club runs on a worthless Sun Solo 10-speed (when 10 speed meant 2 x 5) with 27" wheels. No-one was bothered. If you can keep up on a worse bike, you're doing better than them.

mustang1

Legendary Member
When you ask how you deal with this issue, I see no issue.
I wonder if the others in the group have an issue with you being able to keep up with them while they are riding more expensive bikes.

Don't worry about it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've been thinking about this and it really saddens me that there are clubs and people that like to look down their noses at others, just so bloody not needed, unwarranted and unfriendly.
Unfortunately there's not much any one can do about it. Hopefully the OP's club calls it out.

Alex321

Guru
I've been thinking about this and it really saddens me that there are clubs and people that like to look down their noses at others, just so bloody not needed, unwarranted and unfriendly.
Unfortunately there's not much any one can do about it. Hopefully the OP's club calls it out.

The OP has actually specifically stated that the others DON'T look down on them.

It is one of the things which make me wonder about joining a cycling club.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The OP has actually specifically stated that the others DON'T look down on them.

People judge by appearances. Lovely Colnago or Pinarello with electronic gears? Must be a bike snob. A club ride of such bikes?. Cliquey bike snobs.

There's a hill in Kent called Ide Hill with a nice cafe at the top that's popular with cyclists. Just after the first lockdown I was grinding my way up Ide Hill at a snail's pace when two or three racing snakes in the kit of a local club zoomed past. At the cafe I put my humble bike next to their fancy machines and went to get coffee. As I came out I saw one of them indicate something about my bike and say something to his mate. What was going on here? Obviously bike snobs belittling my bike! Oh no! They are going to laugh at me! I feel so insecure!

Actually one guy had noticed the Audax sticker on my mudguard and we had a brief chat about Audaxing.

Don't judge by appearances

Top Bottom