Bicycle lights at station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why does it matter? The clerk doesn't know, and I didn't have to tell him. So "my dog ate it" is as good a reason as any. (I made origami BoJos out of it is also a good reason. Take your pick.)

Now you tell me - why should I not be able to vote?

If you’re not going to be honest about the real circumstances then I have no further interest.

You did get to vote though, so that’s good.

presta

Guru
What measures ARE in place to stop postal voters from voting twice?

I've no idea, but if someone makes themself look like they might be trying to vote twice, they might reasonably expect to find out.

PK99

Legendary Member
"Don't touch me or I will defend myself"? They were doing their job. They said you could not go onto the platform with your lights on. This is for safety reasons and you were ignoring their instructions. You sound like an entitled pratt.

You mean he sounds like a cyclist?

If you apply for, and are granted a postal vote, you should use it. If you leave it too late, too bad. Much like turning up at a polling station at 10.15 pm when the place has closed, after being open for 15 hours. You won't get to vote and you will get no sympathy from anyone.

The 10:15pm rule is an actual rule; I wouldn't have any problem with that being enforced.
But can you point me to your "rule" about postal votes? The senior manager at the Polling Station was happy for me to vote. Would you like to make a complaint about him?

AIUI postal votes can be handed in at the polling station. However I always thought that applying for and getting a postal votes gets you taken off the list for voting in person.

I have not got the law for this to quote but I did find the attached leaflet for polling station staff that might give you some information. Particularly look at the letters A or +N next to the person's name on the electoral register. It is for postal voters and is in the section for those who must not be allowed to vote.

Guidance leaflet for polling station staff

AIUI postal votes can be handed in at the polling station. However I always thought that applying for and getting a postal votes gets you taken off the list for voting in person.

I have not got the law for this to quote but I did find the attached leaflet for polling station staff that might give you some information. Particularly look at the letters A or +N next to the person's name on the electoral register. It is for postal voters and is in the section for those who must not be allowed to vote.

Guidance leaflet for polling station staff

Thank you for taking the time to find that. But it seems to be clear that there is not a ban:
An elector claims to have lost or not received their postal vote? p 29
Before 5pm: direct them to the elections office for a replacement.
After 5pm: follow the tendered ballot procedure. Ask the prescribed
questions before issuing a tendered ballot paper. Do not issue a
tendered ballot paper if the questions are not answered satisfactorily.

(and note:
This guide should be used alongside the Commission’s Handbook
for polling station staff. Page references given in this guide show
where more detailed information can be found in the handbook.

richardfm

Veteran
Of course I didn't know ANY of this when I went to vote; I just asked politely to vote, and presented my ID. Then asked for clarification when one guy said I couldn't.
Anyone thinking that is unreasonable behaviour needs their head examined!

So they followed the guidance and asked you some questions, when satisfied with the answers you were allowed to vote. What is "jobsworth" about that. I really can't see your problem. You messed up and the people at the polling station sorted it for you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
What measures are in place to stop people voting twice?

you have a code on your voting card and they cross your name off the list .

Brandane

Legendary Member
So they followed the guidance and asked you some questions, when satisfied with the answers you were allowed to vote. What is "jobsworth" about that. I really can't see your problem. You messed up and the people at the polling station sorted it for you.

Unfortunately, there are increasing numbers of people out there who think they should be allowed to do whatever they like without having to answer to any lesser person who might be trying to do their job. I think the modern term is "entitled". Other terms are available!

classic33

Leg End Member
So to get back to this very valid point....

What measures ARE in place to stop postal voters from voting twice? Other than an observant clerk at the polling station?

If you apply for, and are granted a postal vote, you should use it. If you leave it too late, too bad. Much like turning up at a polling station at 10.15 pm when the place has closed, after being open for 15 hours. You won't get to vote and you will get no sympathy from anyone.
On the copy of the register for each polling station, postal voter details are printed in red, not black.

The electoral services have usually arranged for one post box, usually one nearest the Town Hall, to be emptied just before midnight*. And any votes there put through the verification process before being taken to the counting hall.

*11pm if the count is taking place once the polling stations have closed, and boxes delivered to the counting hall.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Why does it matter? The clerk doesn't know, and I didn't have to tell him. So "my dog ate it" is as good a reason as any. (I made origami BoJos out of it is also a good reason. Take your pick.)

Now you tell me - why should I not be able to vote?

Because it could be voter fraud ....you look a little dodgy on your avatar pic!

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom