Anyone else spent ages waiting for "hot weather"to ride in then find it's too hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love hot weather, but it was nigh on 36 degrees here today and no relief in sight. :sun::sun:

Just back from an 8 day unsupported camping tour and all I can say is that the last 4 days have been very hard work for me. I don't manage the heat very well at all and the battle paint (aka factor 50) has been out in force being applied 4 or 5 times a day and I am still burnt (just nicely roasted as opposed to a cinder) and exceptionally glad to be home. I have been searching out small country lanes with good leaf cover and struggling to consume enough water. My tent has not been going up until 9pm at night, so that it is a not a sauna... I think it has been the humidity in the last 4 days that has been the hardest tbh. Glad to be home for a day's rest before I need to be back out on the bike irrespective of the weather... at least that will be my road bike with no panniers and not a laden off-road touring bike, so that might help a touch :laugh:

Welcome back.....how did the Nomad II perform in the heat?
better than her owner did! :biggrin: rock solid as usual, but I think I will need to replace the headset bearings before we go out at that end of next month. they are creaking (again) and there is some rusty staining on the double crown forks... they are the original ones, so its not surprise... but it could also just be a case of them needing loosening off again - worse when it is very hot... last time it was creaking as things cooled down, so... but I may just treat her to some new ones - don't think they are expensive and I think she is going to need some new brake pads as well (they are sitting in a drawer). 7 miles of downhill on welsh forestry tracks possibly wore them a touch lower than I had hoped... but they are also the original pads as well and she has now covered more than 16,000km! :whistle: Had fun overtaking some mtb'ers uphill on those tracks as well! :laugh:

Im with you DM. Don't like it when its this hot. Bring on some cooler weather. As you say about 19 deg is fine.
drop it to 16C for me and it is fine. WD, could you ask that welsh dragon of yours not too breathe so heavily please? :laugh:

brand

Not bothered what temperature it is, there is good things to be said about all weather conditions.
As they say in Norway, it is never to cold to go out, your just not wearing the appropriate clothing. Although I find some people can take offence to what I am wearing once the temperature exceeds 32C.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's nice and very unusual to see so many folk out on bikes,all due to the glorious weather of course. Unfortunately most of them wont stick around to master even the most basic cycling skills!

RWright

Guru
I have not been riding regularly for the past several months and now that my knee is where I feel comfortable riding again, the temperatures are a little rough in the daytime. I will just mostly go out in the evenings for a while. I am not ready for riding with the mid day sun blasting down on me at the moment. I do prefer riding when it is above 15C or so ( I used Google conversion to find out what 60F was in C ;)) I don't have much problem with the heat until it gets over about 32C (90F :smile:). I don't like wearing any gloves other than fingerless but I do if it is much lower than 15C. I just have to dress properly for the cold weather riding.

brand

It's nice and very unusual to see so many folk out on bikes,all due to the glorious weather of course. Unfortunately most of them wont stick around to master even the most basic cycling skills!
Not sure what those skills are? You get on and you pedal. Of course riding in the summer once a week a couple of miles if the weather is just right, is not going to improve your health in away whatsoever.

Top Bottom