Anyone else spent ages waiting for "hot weather"to ride in then find it's too hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigAl68

Über Member
We have had massive thunder and lightning all night with very heavy rain after a week of very hot weather which has made my daily commute hot in the evenings. The rain, if not the thunder seems to have calmed so I am off out into drizzle for a probably wet ride. Should mean there won't be too many people about.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I don't like the heat. Can't breathe, can't think. I'm melting. Much prefer cooler weather. I'll stay inside. Im looking forward to cooler weather. Hopefully when the rain stops it will be better. I went on my bike yesterday and it was horrible., I felt ill.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I much prefer riding in the heat than the rain (which I won't do given the choice) and cold. If I get too hot, I slow down. I go for a bike ride and I'm not interested in speed/distance so it makes no odds to me. Spending 8 years of my yoof living in Jamaica maybe left it's mark; I love the sun and hot weather!.
I did the Loire Valley cycle route 2 years ago in temperatures of 35/40C and the only problem was water - trying to get enough of it, and drinking it before it got too hot in the bidons (i.e within about 5 minutes!).

djb1971

Legendary Member
I don't like the heat. Can't breathe, can't think. I'm melting. Much prefer cooler weather. I'll stay inside. Im looking forward to cooler weather. Hopefully when the rain stops it will be better. I went on my bike yesterday and it was horrible., I felt ill.

I used to love the heat. I can't cope this year.
My wife says I'm going through the male menopause. She says that explains a lot :laugh:

She may be correct, most men have affairs during midlife. I keep buying :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to love the heat. I can't cope this year.
My wife says I'm going through the male menopause. She says that explains a lot :laugh:

She may be correct, most men have affairs during midlife. I keep buying :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Bring on the cooler weather. Can't wait

BigAl68

Über Member
I much prefer riding in the heat than the rain (which I won't do given the choice) and cold. If I get too hot, I slow down. I go for a bike ride and I'm not interested in speed/distance so it makes no odds to me. Spending 8 years of my yoof living in Jamaica maybe left it's mark; I love the sun and hot weather!.
I did the Loire Valley cycle route 2 years ago in temperatures of 35/40C and the only problem was water - trying to get enough of it, and drinking it before it got too hot in the bidons (i.e within about 5 minutes!).

I am off to the Loire in early August to do a sportive, my first and wonder how hot it's going to be.

compo

Veteran
I have gone from one extreme to the other. I used to prefer cooler weather for cycling but since having a total thyroidectomy I cannot get enough heat. I am loving the recent weather and I just wish it would warm up a bit more. I am not to keen on the high humidity though.

hoopdriver

Guru
Coming from Australia, even after a few years here, I still struggle to understand how anyone can describe temperatures of 27C as 'scorching', as I hear so often on the news. Sometimes I have heard that adjective applied to temperatures as low as 24C. I just don't get it...

Brandane

Legendary Member
Coming from Australia, even after a few years here, I still struggle to understand how anyone can describe temperatures of 27C as 'scorching', as I hear so often on the news. Sometimes I have heard that adjective applied to temperatures as low as 24C. I just don't get it...
The thing that amuses me is the tendency for British people to dress in shorts, T shirt and flip flops whenever the sun makes an appearance; even in February when the temperature is struggling to get above freezing :wacko:.

djb1971

Legendary Member

When you've lived here all of your life and been used to cold and damp, it's a bit of a shock to the system when it gets hot.

yello

Apparently you can acclimatise yourself. Takes around 10 days I recall reading recently. I don't fancy doing it though, too damned uncomfortable.

People talk about a 'cooling breeze' but at the moment here it is still, and the air is warm. So even if you're moving in it then there's no cooling effect.

Obviously we all have different tolerances and preferences, and some living in different climatic conditions, but nothing would ever persuade me to ride in the plus 30 degree conditions we've been having of late. Personally, I think it a health risk.

Top Bottom