Any (of the old f*rts) remember Cherry B?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Stella is now only brewed in Belgium now and Interbrew have no part in it the skull crushing headaches of yore are no longer.
That explains something I've been wondering about recently, I used to get bad hangovers sometimes even after just a couple of Stella's the night before, but now just feel generally crap without too much of the 'Stella head' and thought my advancing years had somehow made me more immune. Still a Spoons brekkie normally sorts it out (without the Stella that is).

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
That explains something I've been wondering about recently, I used to get bad hangovers sometimes even after just a couple of Stella's the night before, but now just feel generally crap without too much of the 'Stella head' and thought my advancing years had somehow made me more immune. Still a Spoons brekkie normally sorts it out (without the Stella that is).
Explain this, though. I went to Brussels a couple of months ago, spent my first day drinking all kinds of wonderful beers, and felt fine next day.

I carried on drinking wonderful beers all the next day, then ended up at a jazz club where I decided to drink draught Stella.

It was all going so well till then.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Explain this, though. I went to Brussels a couple of months ago, spent my first day drinking all kinds of wonderful beers, and felt fine next day.

I carried on drinking wonderful beers all the next day, then ended up at a jazz club where I decided to drink draught Stella.

It was all going so well till then.
As my Dad would have said "That last pint must have been bad one Son."

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The Mansfield Sporting Club, in Peterborough, lost it’s drink licence due to repeated troubles.
It was a snooker hall actually.
You could buy bottles of Headlight, which I think was the first alcohol free beer on the market.
Tasted like liquid cardboard.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Does anybody ever remember that fizzy drink called Quatro? I used love the taste of that stuff

q.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatro_(beverage)

dodgy

This thread is like a Brexiteer's wet dream.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hang on... Not quite there yet.

We need an glass coffee table with faux gold corners, and a great big eff-off Ronson lighter sat on it.

And onyx ash trays.

And a nice "radiogram" in the corner, looking like a faux teak sideboard, four speed turntable (16-33-45-78), twin speakers, a nice lid, and a four band radio (SW/MW/LW/VHF) with the positions of all those exotic forrin stations like Hilversum listed on them.

And a 26" Pye colour television, with push button channel controls. Eight of them. Despite there only being three stations, unless you were on the edge of a region like we were, so you could get HTV Cymru despite living in Granadaland.

Feel free to plonk yourself on to our Guy Rovers velour three piece, enjoy your Mackesons stout, and don't worry about dropping the fag ash from your Embassy King Size onto our swirly green nylon carpet, we'll just rub it into the pile (it's good for the pile, apparently). In fact, here's the Embassy catalogue for you to have a squint through, we're smoking ourselves to death to get the 200,000 coupons we need to go on the holiday illustrated by that BOAC Boeing 747 in there. Or maybe a slimming machine.

Try not to wrap your Hillman Avenger round the lamppost on the way home.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Stella is also a lower abv% than before.
It was 5.2% back when it was wife beater, but is now 4.8%.

Come off it. I am sure that if similar threads were started in other European countries about drinks from their past there would be the same sort of responses.

I haven't noticed anyone saying our drinks were better before we were in the EU.

Believe it or not there is a life outside the Brexit debate.

This thread has reminded me that we still have an unopened bottle of Cherry B that is at least 40 years old in our drinks cupboard.

Top Bottom