Admit your ignorance - things you've only just realised/learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And in some places in England, e.g. Merseyside, but I had to wait until I got my pension at 66 in West Yorkshire.

London too, you can get an Oyster Freedom Pass at 60 which gives you free off peak (after 9am I think) trains, tubes and buses. But at pension age you can also get a full-fat bus pass. I'm not sure what the restrictions on that are as I don't have one yet.

I've read (maybe on here) that bus drivers refer to users of these are called "twirlies" by bus drivers, as they turn up before peak hours have ended and say "am I too early?"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not to worried about the bus pass, but I am looking forward to being eligible for the Senior Railcard next year. The £30* cost will be recouped in the first two trips I've got planned.

*I'll probably opt for the £70 for 3 years though will still easily cover that in the first few months.

Surely you're eligible already? You're older than me and I have one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am using my Senior Railcard at this moment. I have saved about £45 on this one journey! I travel to Devon 4 or 5 times a year so the cost of a 3 year card is recouped by the summer of the first year.

I might opt for the electronic version of the card when I renew it next year since most tickets are on my phone now and I often end up fumbling in my bag for the card when required to produce it.

I discovered a while back that my bus pass gets me a 50% discount on rail fares in West Yorkshire so I use that for local rail journeys.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Surely you're eligible already? You're older than me and I have one.
Don't hit 60 until February 2025. Until then I'm only eligible for the Greater Anglia Club 50 card which only gives a 20% discount on off peak travel on parts of the Greater Anglia network.

Not sure whether it's good to be considered older than I am - is my posting really that of an old man ?:laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't hit 60 until February 2025. Until then I'm only eligible for the Greater Anglia Club 50 card which only gives a 20% discount on off peak travel on parts of the Greater Anglia network.

Not sure whether it's good to be considered older than I am - is my posting really that of an old man ?:laugh:

Sorry I got confused. and thought I was replying to @ColinJ

It's my age ... :laugh:

presta

Guru
That Rianne Downey is singing "This place is like quick sand" not "This place is like Christmas".

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Despite having taken over our grocery shopping since covid, yesterday I discovered 2 pint bottles of milk cost £1.20 (been buying these all that time)

4 pint bottles cost £1.45.

But 2 pint bottles (cut lengthways) are a much better size for cleaning paintbrushes!

Tenkaykev

Guru

If you register ( free ) for a Tesco Clubcard then you get points allocated in proportion to the amount you spend. These points accumulate and when they reach a threshold they issue vouchers of a notional monetary value to be spent in store or with a range of " Partners ". One of these partners is Railcard. When you use these vouchers with partners the face value is doubled, so if you had for example £10 worth of vouchers these would count as £20 towards the cost of the railcard.

Top Bottom