205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He's back up and running...well cycling.... well recumberating...

upload_2015-4-16_9-21-49.png

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Will he be able to escape at some point? There will be no grass left if he keeps going all week in there (well where I think he is having looked on google) I thought Milton Keynes boasted of having those cycle paths that nobody uses, though I've no idea quite how bad they are.

But absolutely brilliant that he's moving again!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 3647173, member: 9609"]According to the tracker he has done his first 8 miles (in 1½ hrs) but it is still a start - I wonder how many of will keep in front of his one leg cycling distance? So there's a challenge, can you do more miles than steve over the next month...[/QUOTE]
There will be some that he will beat just today :whistle: I only did 7 miles yesterday! And I couldn't imagine being able to do that distance with one leg pedalling!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Never having ridden a recumbent, fixed wheel bike or cycled any distance one-legged, I was wondering whether a fixed wheel contraption would help with the lifting part of the pedal stroke. I was thinking that for a long distance one-legged ride there would be a lot of strain around the groin area and the ''carry through'' of a FW might possibly help relax this area.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think having the gears available is probably of more use to Steve than the help over the dead spot of fixed. Steve's plan is, I believe, to ride round the bowl all day, so the tracker is going to be very confused as it doesn't like lots of turns. I expect a significant under-read by the end of the day.

Great to see him back on the move! :thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think having the gears available is probably of more use to Steve than the help over the dead spot of fixed. Steve's plan is, I believe, to ride round the bowl all day, so the tracker is going to be very confused as it doesn't like lots of turns. I expect a significant under-read by the end of the day.

Great to see him back on the move! :thumbsup:
Thanks. My inexperience made it impossible to tell whether it would help but I was curious.

This is pure, Corinthian spirit, and well done all those who have been nursing and nurturing this continuation. In theory it means that any food can 'come to Steve' (cue a nearby hotel providing etc and attendant publicity) as well as celebrities local and national, sports programmes, news and suchlike. With the fine weather, there will soon be an encampment...a festival to rival Glastonbury "Abrahamsbury"...not so much rock, but a whole lot of roll.

...............................................GOOO Steve!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Little bit of info from Miles' crew chief;

A few of your questions answered thanks to Mile's "Crew Chief" Phil Billette:

"Mentally Miles is coping well, the only signs of stress are from his fear of gadgets failing to work.

While today’s contenders probably have a great advantage over Tommy Godwin and previous record holders, at least the original riders never had to worry about Garmins, Spot Trackers, Mobile phones and Heart rate monitors and the like failing to work. Once we are confident that all data is saved and uploaded efficiently I am sure his stress levels will drop.

Mechanically his bike is fine, with just on loose bolt to date. At present he is riding David( the grey bike), Emily (the white bike) with the 82 tooth front chain drive is waiting in the wings at Abbotsford Cyclist!!!

Miles is scheduled to have regular medical checks including a monthly blood test and his heart rate recordings are included with all data to UMCA in America on a daily basis. Mile’s diet would never gain approval from the AIS but it appears to work for him, however he does have one thing in common with the great Irene Plowman in that he consumes copious amounts on plain milk and honey, however he refuses to add a raw egg which was Irene’s favourite drink while breaking the Sydney-Melbourne record in 1937.

We are eager to have Miles finishing his day’s ride at the Melbourne end of the course, however last night was spent at Safety Beach a long way from home!!
Earlier this week Miles stopped to help a fellow cyclist repair his bike on Beach Rd, while ever he continues to be his normal generous self we trust the Gods will be kind to him." ‪#‎GoMiles‬ ‪#‎UCMA‬ ‪#‎HAMR‬

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Kurt has food poisoning according to Facebook, can't post the link but it sounds pretty bad. No mileage today according to the tracker.
He actually posted asking if there's somebody that could hook him up to an IV to save him having to go to hospital.

Top Bottom