205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 3648028, member: 9609"]I wondered why he wasn't out the day - he is the facebook link and I see Steve has sent him a get well soon message ...
Kurt has been complaining quite a bit this past week about low energy levels and struggling to get motivated, I wonder if it is all connected.[/QUOTE]
Could well be, he did say it could be flu, so it may be a case that he's really run down.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't sound good for Kurt. Poor fella.

DanZac

Amazing to see Steve back on the move. His mental and physical strength continue to amaze and inspire me.
Hope kurt makes a swift recovery, be good to see all contenders back on the road again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yuk that doesn't sound very nice..... So Steve manages to do more miles than Kurt on his first day back through a dint of bad luck for Kurt!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Yuk that doesn't sound very nice..... So Steve manages to do more miles than Kurt on his first day back through a dint of bad luck for Kurt!
It's all quite phenomenal isn't it, Kurt sounds like he's really really ill and still goes out and does a mile, I wouldn't have got out a bed never mind gone and swung a leg over the bike, and Steve does a one legged 55 miles, having tried to continue a week or so ago immediately after the collision despite having a broken ankle. Remarkable people.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's all quite phenomenal isn't it, Kurt sounds like he's really really ill and still goes out and does a mile, I wouldn't have got out a bed never mind gone and swung a leg over the bike, and Steve does a one legged 55 miles, having tried to continue a week or so ago immediately after the collision despite having a broken ankle. Remarkable people.
I find these guys very inspirational & kind of motivated me to ride every day this year, no excuses due to weather, but I reckon I'd draw the line at riding 1 legged due to an injury :okay:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Last years Paris - Roubaix was won by Niki Terpstra and he posted his winning ride on Strava, he has received to date 8072 kudos and his ride has had 543 comments. To the best of my knowledge this is the most kudos that any ride has got on Strava.
Yesterday Steve Abraham rode 55 miles one legged, he has so far received 3231 kudos and 315 comments. It may not be as many as the chap that won the Paris - Roubaix (yet) but the support that Steve has is quite amazing.

jay clock

Massive member
I dont full understand what record he will hold. On the assumption that he does less than Tommy's record, he will be the HAMR holder under their rules for a few days possibly until Tarzan finishes.... Or have I misunderstood

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I dont full understand what record he will hold. On the assumption that he does less than Tommy's record, he will be the HAMR holder under their rules for a few days possibly until Tarzan finishes.... Or have I misunderstood

I believe Steve is on course for, or may already have, an age group record which can only be of interest to the tiny audax community.

He is now several thousand miles behind Kurt in the chase for Tommy's record.

That lead can only increase as Steve is faced with possibly weeks of relatively low mileage days.

Unless Kurt suffers a misfortune, it looks like he will beat Tommy and hold that record when he (Kurt) finishes in January.

Matters are complicated by the possibility of Steve starting another attempt in June, when he will be riding 200 mile+ days again.

That attempt would finish 365 days later, so June, 2016.

Oh, and another bloke called Miles has just started his attempt which looks like it might be credible.

He is due to finish in April, 2016.

The various attempts and finish dates are bad news for general interest and publicity.

Non-cyclists - and the non-cycling media - who were taking an interest will likely lose the will to follow it all.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Does anyone know if the moped rider who rammed Steve is being prosecuted ?
It must at least be driving without due care and attention.
The policeman said he was on police bail having failed a breathaliser test. Awaiting results of a blood test which could take up to 6 weeks.

jay clock

Massive member
If Steve restarts again properly I might get interested, but as impressed as i am with his commitment to the cause, I can no longer get too excited. Feel sorry for him though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The policeman said he was on police bail having failed a breathaliser test. Awaiting results of a blood test which could take up to 6 weeks.

That may indicate he was borderline over the limit, which would fit if it was a morning after job.

Not that any outcome can repair the damage done.

True, although Steve should be invited to make a victim personal statement detailing the impact it has had on him.

In the event of a successful prosecution, the sentencing tribunal is obliged to take the statement into account.

I remain to be convinced the statements have much impact on sentencing levels in most cases.

Top Bottom