205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I watched this video earlier, and Steve's sorties are weaving a pattern into the rug of the English landscape in a beautiful rhythmic fashion...the eye following out, and back in again, like the shuttle on a loom. With Kurt's efforts running in my 'right eye' it is interesting to see the 'flea that is he' popping up all over the place, probably determining his rides by his WindApp, if he feels like a cuddle, or if it's a curt "drive me over there, please." :smile:
What an expert and interesting job that Jo Wood is doing. Yet Another Congratulation Forthcoming. Thank you.

swansonj

Guru
The CTC weekly email that has just popped into my inbox says that Steve's Eddington Number is now 144. Surely it must be far higher than that? It must have been higher than that before this year even began?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The CTC weekly email that has just popped into my inbox says that Steve's Eddington Number is now 144. Surely it must be far higher than that? It must have been higher than that before this year even began?
That's 144 x 144 mile rides. His HAM'R Eddington number can't be higher than the number of rides he's done, so will end today with 79.

swansonj

Guru
That's 144 x 144 mile rides. His HAM'R Eddington number can't be higher than the number of rides he's done, so will end today with 79.
Exactly. If they mean his HAM'R-only Eddington number, 144 is too high. If they mean his lifetime Eddington number, well, I'm going to guess there are 25 years in which he's done at least ten rides of at least 200 miles, so his Eddington number should be well over 200 before this year started.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Exactly. If they mean his HAM'R-only Eddington number, 144 is too high. If they mean his lifetime Eddington number, well, I'm going to guess there are 25 years in which he's done at least ten rides of at least 200 miles, so his Eddington number should be well over 200 before this year started.
He would have had to do 200 x, not 10 x, 200 mile rides to get a 200 E number. That's 40,000 miles in 200 rides. 200 mile rides doing a double century every weekend would take 4 years to achieve. I'm guessing that his E number was well over 100 before he started and it's rising with almost every ride now.

swansonj

Guru
He would have had to do 200 x, not 10 x, 200 mile rides to get a 200 E number. That's 40,000 miles in 200 rides. 200 mile rides doing a double century every weekend would take 4 years to achieve.
Err... That's what I said. I've never met the guy (and I consider my life the poorer for it) but from everything I've read, he's early forties, and been cycling since a teenager. So that's 25 years of cycling. And I understand he does Audaxes and things pretty well every weekend. Hence my modest guess that each year he averages at least ten rides of 200 miles plus - that's "only" a double century a month. Hence 200+ rides of 200+ miles.

Way back, when this thing started, I ventured the possibility that he might not increase his Eddington number by very much at all, if it is already well into the two hundreds.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Err... That's what I said. I've never met the guy (and I consider my life the poorer for it) but from everything I've read, he's early forties, and been cycling since a teenager. So that's 25 years of cycling. And I understand he does Audaxes and things pretty well every weekend. Hence my modest guess that each year he averages at least ten rides of 200 miles plus - that's "only" a double century a month. Hence 200+ rides of 200+ miles.

Way back, when this thing started, I ventured the possibility that he might not increase his Eddington number by very much at all, if it is already well into the two hundreds.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood your post. I didn't understand you were taking 10 rides per year over 20 years to get to E 200.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
216 of your English miles for the day with a fair bit of climbing thrown in for good measure.
upload_2015-3-20_21-43-10.png

upload_2015-3-20_21-44-13.png

GO STEVE!!!

Popped back to his place to put the washing on, have a bucket of tea and do the hoovering no doubt. Start earlier tomorrow, Steve - there's rugby on the telly all afternoon; it'll give you some excitement to pass the day...
Kurt's headed toward Bogalusa...Steve stopped after the first three letters.
:tongue::rolleyes:
Riding upwards to home - yuk!

Top Bottom