205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As is Tarzan, who has done 213 miles and taken another 18 miles out of Steve.

OK, Steve's going to pull on in the better weather over here, but what if Tarzan also ups his game?

Another point in Tarzan's favour is his faster speed means less time in the saddle - 'only' 11 hours for the 213 miles.

Things could get bloody if he starts to slap in 15 hour or 16 hour days.

To be honest I'm really not bothered about Kurt. I have met Steve and cycled with him a few times. I'm really only interested in following his ride and progress rather then the side show. Though it does make for compelling viewing.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Posted on Facebook yesterday;
View attachment 79497
Got to meet the legend himself, Steve Abraham earlier, taking a quick stop on the outskirts of Swindon. Seemed like a lovely chap and hopefully will see him a few more times throughout the year!

(I did actually go in and say 'hello' etc, not just photograph his bike as the photo may suggest)

I was so intent on staring at the bike, I almost missed Steve in the background!

BSRU

A Human Being
Posted on Facebook yesterday;
View attachment 79497
Got to meet the legend himself, Steve Abraham earlier, taking a quick stop on the outskirts of Swindon. Seemed like a lovely chap and hopefully will see him a few more times throughout the year!

(I did actually go in and say 'hello' etc, not just photograph his bike as the photo may suggest)
Going by his strava trace it looks like he stopped off for a Costa coffee or maybe a Subway just by junction 16.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was so intent on staring at the bike, I almost missed Steve in the background!
That makes three of us, the pic is quite a bit smaller on Facebook and it was only when I loaded it on to here that I spotted Steve tucking in to some well earned scran.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Updated Google Spreadsheet of mileages HERE

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
To be honest I'm really not bothered about Kurt. I have met Steve and cycled with him a few times. I'm really only interested in following his ride and progress rather then the side show. Though it does make for compelling viewing.

Kurt will be a bit more than a sideshow if he beats Steve on mileage.

I'm a bigger patriot than most people I know, but to me it's winner take all.

The tiny audax community will always remember Steve, the wider world will forget him within a week, just as they will Tarzan if he does fewer miles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And there we have it...198 miles on the dot

sa distance.png

sa mts.png

A couple of points, riding the way Kurt does is not in my opinion sustainable, he is using massive amounts of energy which I believe will eventually be his downfall, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if he changes his tactics and begins to ride in a similar way to Steve at some point, but of course Steve is the master of this, plus I have a good idea of what Steve has in the pipeline.
On the subject of Cheshire, no offence @Origamist but I would rather he avoided Cheshire roads unless he switches to a mtb :smile:.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
A couple of points, riding the way Kurt does is not in my opinion sustainable, he is using massive amounts of energy which I believe will eventually be his downfall, in fact it wouldn't surprise me if he changes his tactics and begins to ride in a similar way to Steve at some point, but of course Steve is the master of this, plus I have a good idea of what Steve has in the pipeline.
On the subject of Cheshire, no offence @Origamist but I would rather he avoided Cheshire roads unless he switches to a mtb :smile:.
I don't understand this, Kurts average heart rate is very similar to Steves and of course he's not doing anywhere near the climbing that Steve is doing, he's also riding in far more favourable conditions than Steve is currently. So unless you're referring to his brand new girlfriend and his camper van I'm not sure what you mean when you say he is using massive amounts of energy and that it isn't sustainable.

Top Bottom