205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
An awesome 200 miler today from the Red road warrior. Miles as you like,

sa distance.png

sa mts.png

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Steves bikes seem to have a bigger than usual gap between tyre and mudguard. Is that just due to him using smaller tyres than the originals or is it for some other reason ?

Could be to stop mud and road dirt from getting jammed under them? My tourer has such close-fitting mudguards that the mud collects, especially round the nut/bolt that holds them on, and sets like concrete. I have to keep taking the wheels off the clean it out, such a waste of time.

This. Any cyclist with Steve's experience will know the perils of close fitting mudguards and especially those without quick release in case of a larger object getting pulled up by the tyre which I think Steve's bike does not have, hence the bigger gap when fitting the mudguards. I am fairly sure he has changed wheels since he started his epic journey, when we rode with him I seem to remember he had American Classics on.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
If I have interpreted Kurt Searvogel's spreadsheet correctly, he is (in round figures)650 miles ahead of his projections. Although direct comparisons to the record are awkward as the data for the period 1/1 - 9/1 of the record is ignored and the same period at the end spreadsheet looks to be projections.
Incredible performances by both men, though my heart wants the record to stay on this side of the Atlantic.

BenM

Veteran
its probably been said before but I think they two (?three) modern attempts are actually very different so shouldn't really be classed as the same record... Florida is well known for its hills and bad weather where as the UK is flat as a pancake and mild even in winter...
Perhaps the UCA should have regional records? so the chap in Florida isn't beating the UK record he is setting the first Florida one using the distance set in the UK as a benchmark...
Go Steve though - incredible progress so far.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
its probably been said before but I think they two (?three) modern attempts are actually very different so shouldn't really be classed as the same record... Florida is well known for its hills and bad weather where as the UK is flat as a pancake and mild even in winter...
Perhaps the UCA should have regional records? so the chap in Florida isn't beating the UK record he is setting the first Florida one using the distance set in the UK as a benchmark...
Go Steve though - incredible progress so far.
You sure that you have Florida and the UK the right way around. If so, why is my heating bill so big?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You sure that you have Florida and the UK the right way around. If so, why is my heating bill so big?
IRONY ALERT! :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
(Yet) another cracking ride today. 195 miles on the clock. The guy's relentless.

View attachment 79454

View attachment 79455

As is Tarzan, who has done 213 miles and taken another 18 miles out of Steve.

OK, Steve's going to pull on in the better weather over here, but what if Tarzan also ups his game?

Another point in Tarzan's favour is his faster speed means less time in the saddle - 'only' 11 hours for the 213 miles.

Things could get bloody if he starts to slap in 15 hour or 16 hour days.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Posted on Facebook yesterday;
10959573_341144182742836_956187554789428824_n.jpg

Got to meet the legend himself, Steve Abraham earlier, taking a quick stop on the outskirts of Swindon. Seemed like a lovely chap and hopefully will see him a few more times throughout the year!

(I did actually go in and say 'hello' etc, not just photograph his bike as the photo may suggest)

Top Bottom