205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
"Tarzan" rode south all day on dead straight, pan flat roads in 17 degree heat with a 15 mph tail wind.
Plenty of us on this forum could have done that.

Hmm not sure many of us could have kept up to his average speed of 21 mph over the 250 miles though even with a nice tailwind. I think that both Steve and Kurt are doing a great job so far and it is certainly inspiring to see them both grinding out mile after mile everyday.

However as a Brit I still hope Steve wins

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I think its great that they have such different ideas on how to go about the challenge.

My money would be on Steve regardless of nationality, he is showing true British grit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve knocks out yet another 190+ miler in what must have been very tough conditions. Nearly a 1000 miles ahead of Tommy's record at this point of time.

SA.jpg

SA Map.jpg

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Meanwhile, Kurt has managed to break another bike, the drive side seat stay on the TCR snapped.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
According to the video he has a few more than just the recumbant. Credit to the man for having a smile on his face.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
According to the video he has a few more than just the recumbant. Credit to the man for having a smile on his face.

Yeah, he does seem a jolly sort considering all his mechanical problems that he seem's to have. At this rate, by the end of the year he'll have a pile of broken bike the size of Everest.

I have come to the conclusion that Kurt must have poor eyesight, the only way bike parts could be breaking this often is if he is hitting potholes, and either the roads are so rubbish he can't avoid them, which I don't believe, or he can't see them.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I haven't seen his video, but IIRC he set off with: -

- A Cervelo TT bike (broken steerer)
- A Giant Road Bike (broken rear frame)
- A 2 wheel Recumbent

Perhaps he's brought more in.

Which leaves him with just the recumbent. I hope he gets sorted soon as I wouldn't like to see him drop out due to equipment failure.
Of course we want to see both of them go mano a mano, but if one of them failed due to equipment failure well that's part of it. This record is about preparation planning and support as much as it's about the pure physical effort. It would still be a well-deserved win

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have come to the conclusion that Kurt must have poor eyesight, the only way bike parts could be breaking this often is if he is hitting potholes, and either the roads are so rubbish he can't avoid them, which I don't believe, or he can't see them.
If he's hit a pothole or holes hard enough to crack the frame wouldn't he have knackered the wheel too?

Edit: Actually not crack, snap.

Top Bottom