205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Every now and again the SE does get those big snow dumps from the near continent.... :whistle: just the last couple of years seemed mild, wondering if we are due a harsher one which wouldn't be good for the challenge!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Every now and again the SE does get those big snow dumps from the near continent.... :whistle: just the last couple of years seemed mild, wondering if we are due a harsher one which wouldn't be good for the challenge!

It does, but not for any length of time. And even then the main roads are still ridable.
But yes, it would be advantageous to go to a warmer climate. Kurt has proved that.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Whenever you start the attempt you have every day of each of the 12 months available for the challenge and no more. I was assuming that's what prompted the Lol, that a summer start some how conferred an advantage.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Whenever you start the attempt you have every day of each of the 12 months available for the challenge and no more. I was assuming that's what prompted the Lol, that a summer start some how conferred an advantage.
I think it does. If you start and finish in crappy weather it's going to be harder to make up miles at the end. You're going to have to be much more focussed on what you are doing and the odds for minor injuries are greater. If you put all of those crappy days in the middle it causes its own problems, but it allows you to start hard without as much hindrance and if you need to really push it at the end to achieve your target then again the weather is less likely to be a factor. If nothing else you end up with much more daylight and if you are pushing long days then daylight is (to most people anyway) a big factor. You get a low ebb around 3-5 am in the morning where it is tough to keep going, but once you hit dawn the burst to go on for another 4-5 hours significantly invigoured just by the presence of daylight is huge. It'll catch up with you but when it does the need to sleep for hours is less. I think it's quite an advantage despite the fact that you are always going to do all the days.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
And flat too, don't forget the famous Welsh flatness
Oh aye, that too!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Steve Abraham just finished Paris Brest Paris
upload_2015-8-20_11-21-8.png

Which makes 764.5 of your imperial miles in 87 and half hours. Which works out at about 209 miles per day for the challenge.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So he's outside the time limit, has barely achieved a 'Godwin' and is no where near a 'Kurt'... and its summer....

... I have my doubts...

..remembering that this was Paris Brest Paris.... Godwin's were achieved, and it's very early days in the (restarted) challenge.

I think Kurt's current average is ~210, so Steve is matching that and as mentioned above, I think the time limit is 90, its 84 if they started on Monday morning.
I'd be presuming that Steve was treating these occasions (PBP, Mersey Roads) as a chance to catch up with people, rather than trying to set any records.
He's on track, had a smashed foot a few months ago, ...
Go Steve

Top Bottom