205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 174: Kurt makes good progress with 237 miles up and down the west shore taking him to within a few days of Marcel Planes' 1911 record. Steve back on form with a 219 mile tip back from Boston to MK. Miles does 101 miles of the bay.

oyttDay174.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
This from Facebook

Go Miles
28 mins ·
Day 8 "Hope you can tell, the team and I are much better prepared since the Bung Lung incident. I've been suffering a little from sore leg muscles (due to time spent doing nothing for fear of complicating the lung thing (you can't just stick a band aid on it) and the enforced layby, stuffed up the body chemistry - all those feel good things we get from pushing pedals - well I had a sudden withdrawal. Both symptoms are now well sorted, but were unexpected - well, by me anyway. Being relatively new to the sport - its the small details and lack of experience that catches you out. Then again if I was not new to the sport and had a great wealth of experience and knew what to expect i would probably be at home with my feet up."

I don't know anything about Miles to be honest and I don't know what he means by new to the sport, I'm sure he's not a novice but it's a hell of a thing to attempt if you consider yourself to be "new", well, it's a hell of a thing to attempt anyway but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Edit: had a dig and found this on Miles' Facebook;

I rescued a 18 kilogram (39 lb) MTB from the next door nieghbour's hard rubbish and started to cycle the last 5 kilometres into the City, mainly to save on parking fees. I was somewhat larger than I am now and was suffering the midlife malaise/ bruises that life can deliver once you crest 50. I started to enjoy this ‘last 5 kilometres’ more than going to the gym, somehting which I invariably didn’t get round to doing..

The choice was stark: get moving or continue the steady decline/ decay. I chose to get moving and discovered the body can manufacture its own feel good drugs, Serotonin, Dopamine, Norepinephrine and whilst doing a body swerve around the black dog, brought about by having to ride to the car. I started parking further and further from the city and just got more out of the bike each day.

I managed to locate a fantastic Local Bike Shop, Abbotsford Cycles, that serviced bikes to get them and their owners back on the road – not just sell them something new and shiny. Abbotsford Cycles has become Mission Control for the world record attempt.

I upgraded with a new crank (5 hole/arm) on to which I gaffer taped a 53 tooth front ring and for $40, I was off chasing down guys on plastic fantastic carbon racers. I started to feel better about myself and the world at large, especially after I purchased my first ‘proper’ bike, (the White Bike).

Audax Australia, gave me the focus and direction (despite my ability to get lost on a point to point direct route – a positive during the next year) together with the comradeship and advice, to continue and to (and excuse the pun) pile on the miles.

Pushing past your own personal envelope, whether that be a 50 or ,200 kilometre ride, is what matters, not the actual distance achieved.

Doing the same route as Ossie Nicholson when he won the World Record in 1933 and 1937 for Australia, unsupported, together with Audax rides of 1,000 Km’s + and Sunday morning jaunts with the MDBC will make for an interesting year ahead.

So I'm assuming as he's 53 that he's been riding for about 3 years.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 175: Steve does a large East Anglian loop of 256 miles. Miles does a double bay for 224 miles. Kurt yet to post his track for the day.

oyttDay175.png

Day 176: 253 miles riding in northern Wisconsin on the lake shore for Kurt puts him within a day of Marcel Planes' 1911 world record distance. Steve fits in a hospital checkup into a 202 mile loop via March. Miles does 148 miles of bay riding.

oyttDay176.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 177: Kurt heads northwest for 225 miles passing Marcel Planes' 1911 record distance of 34,666 miles. Steve puts in his longest day yet riding for an impressive 289 miles before midnight. Miles too does a long day in the bay for a 252 mile total.

oyttDay177.png

swansonj

Guru
Am I right that these long distances Steve is now doing count towards this year's Godwin attempt, but will not count towards the rebooted attempt, which hasn't been declared yet? Seems a shame to be doing 250+ milers and not have them count to his attempt to beat Kurt...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That's correct. He needs to give three weeks notice for a new attempt. As mad as it seems, I think Steve still thinks he has a chance of the record. He may also be looking at an unofficial 100,000 mile record which Godwin also set.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Miles needs a nickname that starts with T otherwise he is just a wannabe. I think that is why William has struggled.
Miles* does seem to be quite a character.

Here's a post he made over on YACF a couple weeks ago:-
Docs gave me the all clear this AM to Restart on the 18th, six (6) days to go to restart date - earliest date possible under UMCA rules.

This news was much appreciated by the team (see below) as I've not been the best to be around for the past couple of weeks.

Team Audax Australia:

Peter 'Affirmative Action (he rides a Recumbent but we don't like to talk about it) Man' Mathews - former National El Presidente, Audax Australia & Chief WR data checking & transfer to UMCA.

Barry 'Chatham House Rules' Moore - Chief Auditor of all WR data.

Phil 'The Pimp' Bellette - Sponsorship & Chef de Mission, former Mr Audax Alpine Classic, currently residing in Northern Hemisphere (does not ride a moped).

Andy 'Oliver - Please Sir Can I Have' Moore - Chief Sprocket Man & Bike Builder.

Sally Rodgers 'Oh Yes She Does' - Social Media & Gatekeeper.

Miles Smith - Dumb Piece of Meat that pushes Pedals.

*Who weirdly is the only one of the four measuring the ride in kilometres

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 178: After the previous long day Steve does 207 miles of Cambridgeshire fens and Miles 145 miles of the bay road. Kurt yet to post his route.

oyttDay178.png

Top Bottom