205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Progress thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
From Jo over at the other place

Day 161: After 222 more miles on the Arkansas hamster wheel, Kurt is now closer to Tommy's WR pace than he has been since the first few days of the challenge. Steve does a 205 mile loop through Cambridgeshire and Essex. It looks increasingly unlikely that he would be able to beat Tommy's total in 2015, now requiring an average of over 246 miles per day for the remains of the year.

oyttDay161.png

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
280 miles for Steve yesterday so he hasn't given up yet.:bravo:

No ride for Kurt on Strava yet.
upload_2015-6-12_9-52-36.png

However

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel shared Kurt Searvogel's post.
5 hrs ·
213 mile ride - but?

Kurt Searvogel
getting sick of dealing with garmin crap - today the fpos wouldn't upload to garmin and strava only showed a 75 mile ride - hopefully I can get some better data from spot -

I think it is only registering the miles to searcy where I was shuttle thru construction. I continued to work just did not record correctly and won't upload had 213 mile ride so I need to get that fixed.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
View attachment 91659

However

Tarzan Rides the HAM'R Kurt Searvogel shared Kurt Searvogel's post.
5 hrs ·
213 mile ride - but?

Kurt Searvogel
getting sick of dealing with garmin crap - today the fpos wouldn't upload to garmin and strava only showed a 75 mile ride - hopefully I can get some better data from spot -

I think it is only registering the miles to searcy where I was shuttle thru construction. I continued to work just did not record correctly and won't upload had 213 mile ride so I need to get that fixed.

Oops, he needs to ditch the garmin and get a Satmap

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 162: As the temperature rises in Little Rock, Kurt starts riding northward. GPS problems leave him with only 75 miles logged despite a 213 mile ride. Steve puts in a long day with an early start and late finish giving him a 280 mile day for his East Anglian loop. This takes his annual total above 25,000 miles.

oyttDay162.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Day 163: Chased by the heat Kurt continues his great migration north, 231 miles through Missouri, crossing the Mississippi into Illinois. Steve sticks to Buckinghamshire loops for 182 miles and 4 Marsh Gibbons.

oyttDay163.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 164: Kurt continues to head north towards the great lakes. A long day takes him to Ottawa, IL and 246 miles closer to the record. Steve does a fenland loop via King's Lynn for 229 miles. He has averaged the WR pace of 206 miles per day over the last 23 days but would need to increase this considerably in order to catch up from his current 8,266 mile deficit.

oyttDay164.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Day 165: Kurt pedals 203 miles further north into Wisconsin where temperatures are a pleasant 27 degrees. Steve does another fenland loop via King' Lynn for 207 miles.

oyttDay165.png

If I were in Steve's position I wouldn't be making a decision just yet and probably not until the end of summer or even beyond that. In this kind of endeavour nothing is guaranteed so waiting to see how many miles he can put in while the weather is relatively good is only sensible.
I do think he deserves more publicity, in particular the events surrounding his accident and aftermath. The calendar post accident is looking bare compared with before.

On separate note, on Steve's live tracking, is there any way of removing all the past routes that overlay the map? It is getting difficult to see exactly where he is heading, just having the current day's live tracking would be very helpful as I/we intend to join Steve again at some point.

Top Bottom