205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
For Strava users, there is now a HAM'R club you can join and compare your weekly efforts to Steve and Kurt. The UMCA have also created a leader board that tracks everyones yearly mileage, currently it only tracks your mileage from the date you join the Strava club, but they are working on getting the data from Jan 1st.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/hamr

http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/data/hamr/ click on the "Peleton" link at the top - it takes forever to load on my computer at work for some reason.
Done, ta.
How to feel inadequate in three easy clicks :smile:

rowdin

Terence david
Just joined as well, Now going for a ride.

U

User169

I pronounce it Sear-vogel. Kind of as it's spelled. May be it's Ser-vogel though. I've never heard the name spoken so just my best guess. It's surely not going to be an American version of Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshawe) is it?

Looks like a bastardization of the Dutch "siervogel" which means "decorative bird".

Tommy Godwin famously "had to re-learn to walk" after his epic 1939-1940 achievements. His daughter Barbara has said that "to the day he died he walked with his feet turned out and his hands were curled, a permanent reminder of cycling 205 miles a day for a year" -- indeed 100,000 miles over 500 days.

At the beginning of the year when outlining what Steve's costs were anticipated to be this year, his Controller mentioned being prepared for Steve to need physiotherapy as the year progressed -- and hoped that financially this would be possible, either paid for by supporters or donated by a local physiotherapist.
This has played at the back of my mind off and on the past three months. While it was reassuring to see Steve himself say on YACF the other day that he feels stronger than ever, it was even more reassuring to catch this exchange in the comments thread on his oneyeartimetrial.org.uk website:

steve rehab.jpg

I was asking because I was wondering if SA is riding fast enough to give himself enough rest for the longer days. I admit to not knowing a lot about long distance audaxing but to me, he appears to be struggling more as his distance increases.

His steady low heart rate says otherwise.
And.... he posted on YACF (which carries 100x the detail/discussion as CC) the other day saying he feels the strongest he's felt all year so far.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thing on Facebook 40 minutes ago

There has been an incident this morning on the A38 near Wellington. Steve and bike are fine. The team have been dealing with it and Steve is having a well earned sleep break at a team members house. I will post more details later as we are very busy at the moment.
Hoppo

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Just looked at the weather forecast for this afternoon here - 50mph westerly winds! We're far enough west of Somerset that I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the "incident" was wind-related. A few hours of sleep and he'll have friendly fast - but not too fast - tail-cross and tail-winds again.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Struggling was the wrong word. What I meant to say was struggling to get the rest he needs.
I've posted before - I don't think he needs much rest. A few years ago he did 40,000km in the year, while also doing a full-time manual job involving physical labour. That included two or three overnighters a week, during which he effectively got no rest - and he didn't have a team of willing helpers but was doing everything himself.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Struggling was the wrong word. What I meant to say was struggling to get the rest he needs.

Agreed. I think with only 4 hours between shifts yesterday, especially with the hard work he would have had to put up with cycling all that way into a headwind may take it;s toll. Hopefully we will be proved wrong.

GO STEVE!!!

Top Bottom