205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
So when SA did his 220 mile ride, he left at 2.30am and normally he does 190ish by leaving at 5am, so what was the point of that. Earlier finish, didn't sleep well, easier day over a longer period with more rest?
I thought he may have had a date that evening, but as you said he didn't seem to finish any earlier, it did seem a little odd. Perhaps @Ian H can shed a bit of extra light on things.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There was a pic on his facebook page of feet and scales. Scales reading just shy of 11 stone. Not sure how much Steve weighed to start with nor how tall he is.
Here we go :smile:
10984126_1555083801406917_3378143916101357971_n.jpg

I may as well stick the others up too

11034259_1555083808073583_6654982590561969781_n.jpg

11025665_1555083804740250_6440851686680502664_n.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I thought he may have had a date that evening, but as you said he didn't seem to finish any earlier, it did seem a little odd. Perhaps @Ian H can shed a bit of extra light on things.

I'm afraid I don't know, but I suspect Steve merely woke and thought he might as well be cycling. I believe he did have a doze during the day. I shan't see him for at least a month or so.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
There was a suggestion over the road (which seems likely) that he wanted to make the most of the relatively windless night, and catch the wind on his way home when it freshened quite a lot during the day.

Trying not to infest the 'Progress' thread with 'Discussion' (hard!) it might have been interesting to add in temperature data, and to see how our subjects perform. Is this detailed anywhere, on a day by day basis? I meant to ask when I watched (thank you mugshot :okay:) a "Brr it's cold" video excerpt from Kurtsea last week. Also, has Steve lumped his bike on a train or campervan, to date, in order to return to base, or some other location, or is it always ride, rest, ride without any 'intervention'...seems like it from a cursory look at the days. Kurt's bed drives with him, so maybe he'll start from different locations to where he arrived the previous night... In England, outside, it is a glorious, sunny 13C - marvellous cycling climate compared to the dank old, cold and dark days. Even I felt good - imagine how Steve must be enjoying the change. :sun:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Trying not to infest the 'Progress' thread with 'Discussion' (hard!) it might have been interesting to add in temperature data, and to see how our subjects perform. Is this detailed anywhere, on a day by day basis? I meant to ask when I watched (thank you mugshot :okay:) a "Brr it's cold" video excerpt from Kurtsea last week. Also, has Steve lumped his bike on a train or campervan, to date, in order to return to base, or some other location, or is it always ride, rest, ride without any 'intervention'...seems like it from a cursory look at the days. Kurt's bed drives with him, so maybe he'll start from different locations to where he arrived the previous night... In England, outside, it is a glorious, sunny 13C - marvellous cycling climate compared to the dank old, cold and dark days. Even I felt good - imagine how Steve must be enjoying the change. :sun:
It's a toughy knowing whether to post in discussion or progress isn't it, I think I may have crossed the line a few times but it hasn't been noticed so I think I may have got away with it :whistle: I don't know about the temperature data although I'm sure it'll be there somewhere, I may have a poke around later. I don't think Steve has done anything other than ride, eat, sleep. No campers or trains. Kurt has on the other hand been a little canny and certainly appeared to be travelling to locations which would help him for the following days ride. He appears to be heading up country now though so whether that'll change or not we'll see. I think he may be on the way to see William Pruett to find out when he's going to start his challenge.
BTW I'm glad it's nice where you are, just so it's know it's hammering down here and blowing at 24mph gusting to 33mph.

It's a toughy knowing whether to post in discussion or progress isn't it, I think I may have crossed the line a few times but it hasn't been noticed so I think I may have got away with it :whistle: I don't know about the temperature data although I'm sure it'll be there somewhere, I may have a poke around later. I don't think Steve has done anything other than ride, eat, sleep. No campers or trains. Kurt has on the other hand been a little canny and certainly appeared to be travelling to locations which would help him for the following days ride. He appears to be heading up country now though so whether that'll change or not we'll see. I think he may be on the way to see William Pruett to find out when he's going to start his challenge.
BTW I'm glad it's nice where you are, just so it's know it's hammering down here and blowing at 24mph gusting to 33mph.
Don't be a wimp. Pass the suncream, ta. :tongue:
Talking of heading up country, maybe Summer will bring diverting video footage from Kurt-O-Rama land..?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The problem with moving to a new location it means using up part of your day, by the locks Steve is filling most of his with riding by going at a slower pace. Kurt is cycling faster so has a bit more time to move, but it must eat into his time, and if he moves when he is asleep then it's not going to be the most restful sleep. I think over the year that the recovery period may become important to their physical and mental strength.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
[QUOTE 3584025, member: 9609"]how do you pronounce "Searvogel" ?[/QUOTE]
I pronounce it Sear-vogel. Kind of as it's spelled. May be it's Ser-vogel though. I've never heard the name spoken so just my best guess. It's surely not going to be an American version of Featherstonehaugh (pronounced Fanshawe) is it?

[QUOTE 3584465, member: 9609"]I don't know why he is not adding a side goal or two to his challenge - like cycling the length and breadth of every mainland US State in a year. - would be my dream come true to do some massive tour with the wife supporting in a camper van (she would never agree though)[/QUOTE]
Too lumpy? Maybe a solar panel mounted upon the recumbent with a refrigerated garment might do the trick in places? :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
For Strava users, there is now a HAM'R club you can join and compare your weekly efforts to Steve and Kurt. The UMCA have also created a leader board that tracks everyones yearly mileage, currently it only tracks your mileage from the date you join the Strava club, but they are working on getting the data from Jan 1st.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/hamr

http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/data/hamr/ click on the "Peleton" link at the top - it takes forever to load on my computer at work for some reason.

Top Bottom