205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Felt awful reading that today. We lost a colleague on a charity ride last year due to a reckless driver, just horrible all his hard work has been ruined

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Interrupted, not ruined. I'd not be surprised to see him come back later.

KneesUp

Guru
This is terrible news - along with many others I've been following Steve with interest, admiration and astonishment.

Hopefully he'll look on the bright side. It has always seemed to me that the other competitors had a huge advantage starting after Steve, so hopefully the setback won't be too long and he can come back with the others to aim at rather than with them tracking him.

I see The Guardian have coverage - almost on the first screen, no less (along with Angela Merkel and a koala)

Screenshot from 2015-03-30 08:12:57.png

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...to-break-long-distance-record-is-hit-by-moped

A cyclist attempting to ride more than 75,000 miles in a year has broken his ankle after being hit by a moped while out riding, his team has said.

Steve Abraham, who is attempting to beat the 75-year-old record for the longest distance cycled in a year, was said to be left needing an operation after the collision, which happened as he was riding through Somerset.

The news was announced in a series of tweets sent from Abraham’s account. The first appeared at around 11am, reporting an “incident” earlier that morning, but suggesting that his injuries were not serious.

— steve abraham (@steve_abraham74) March 29, 2015
There has been an incident on A38 Steve+bike are fine. Steve is having a well earned sleep at a team members house, will keep you all posted

That was followed by three more, posted around 6pm, saying he was more badly hurt than first thought and adding that he may require an operation to aid his recovery.

Extremely sad to announce that aprox 8.10am Steve was ridden into by a moped Steve tried to carry on but stopped in Wellington.Pls next post

He was collected by one of the team and taken to hospital.He has 2 broken bones in his ankle and is currently in plaster.See next post

is looking highly likely that he will require an operation to have a plate and screws. That is all the information available at the moment

Fellow cyclist Chris Hopkinson said he had spoken to Abraham, who was “in fine spirits”. He added that the pair would discuss the options before deciding what to do next.

According to information posted on a tracking website, Abraham was last recorded in the village of Wellington at 8:16am. He had covered more than 25 miles before his accident, having set off in Exeter at around 6am.

On his own website, Abraham has stated that he was running ahead of schedule. It said he had completed 16,860 miles by the end of 29 March, compared to the 14,364 Tommy Godwin had covered by the same date in 1939.

Godwin managed a total of 75,065 miles by the end of the year – a feat no one has bettered since.

Two other men have attempted to break the record this year – William “IronOx” Pruett and Kurt “Tarzan” Searvogel.

Data posted on the website Strava, which is used by athletes to track their performances, suggested that Searvogel was around 1,000 miles behind Abraham, while Pruett has covered less than 15% of the distance cycled by the leading man.

However, it has been reported that his strategy is to save his strength for heavier cycling later in the year.

Speaking to the Guardian last month, the 40-year-old Abraham said of Searvogel: “He’s basically copying what I do, and going one up. I want to see how he reacts when I start to do a few crazy moves.” He was coy, however, when asked to expand on what those moves might be.

Abraham has a team of around 50 helpers taking care of tasks on his behalf, such as preparing food. It is believed one of them posted the tweets on Sunday.

He has been described by his fans as a modest character, who embodies the spirit of the Audax cycling circuit of which he is a part.

The record he is chasing is reportedly the oldest in cycling. After setting it, Godwin had to spend time learning to walk again, before joining the RAF. The world had changed around him as he cycled and, by the time he finished at the end of 1939, Britain and Germany had gone to war.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've not been keeping up of late.
Is Steve still on the first effort or is he starting over since the accident? I'm assuming he has no chance of taking the record now as long as Kurt et al, don't suffer injury?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
First effort, no official announcement about second effort yet, has to declare 3 weeks in advance so if he is doing that it'll come soon-ish. Just because you're tapping in high days today, doesn't mean you'll be doing it in a months time.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
and foregoing the year record presumably?
It's all lumped together isn't it. The year record is distance over a set time, the 100,000 record is a set distance as quickly as possible. Nothing to stop you doing both and you'd be pretty much going for the 100,000 by default if you added 6 months to your year record anyway. You'd definitely be topping 100,000 at some point and would have had it verified across the two record attempts.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It's all lumped together isn't it. The year record is distance over a set time, the 100,000 record is a set distance as quickly as possible. Nothing to stop you doing both and you'd be pretty much going for the 100,000 by default if you added 6 months to your year record anyway. You'd definitely be topping 100,000 at some point and would have had it verified across the two record attempts.
Yes, I see that , but I was assuming that the year record was out of reach now?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
He isn't in the interview just posted.

I think the clever money is saying he will ramp up the miles in to the second half of this year, add a second attempt starting in the summer months (i.e. soon) which will see him actually riding for 18-20 months in total and then use the miles from January as a 100,000 attempt as well. Thoughts are he is likely to beat Godwin, but then (presuming he continues the pace without burning out or injury) Kurt will pass him and it'll be up to whether his overlapping attempt then sees him take the overall.

I think one thing that this has shown us, across all the competitors, is that presuming you can do the same thing, day in, day out, for a year plus without mishaps is quite a bold presumption to make.

Sadly, I do wonder if he'd not be much better doing this somewhere bigger with a much sparser population (i.e. what Kurt is doing).

The person in charge of the finances for Abrahams attempt is no more. I get the feeling that there was some disharmony with communication. Hope Steve rodes on, looks to be a good day today for both Steve and Kurt.

Top Bottom