205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I understand the fixed distance to be 75,065.1 miles. Within a year. Looking at the Ultra-marathon cycling association's rules (which are rather unhelpful on this issue) there's the added complication that no sanctioning body approved TG's mileage. So, assuming that Aussie who hit 65,657 miles before TG had his record sanctioned, either of our 2 contenders will be vying for the record between themselves as soon as one or both hits that mileage.
No, the record is fixed in time, not distance. That is, at heart, the basic premise. Otherwise, it would simply be a race to 75,065.1 (as you say), which it so clearly is not.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Hooray! Thank you Velovoice !

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
No, the record is fixed in time, not distance. That is, at heart, the basic premise. Otherwise, it would simply be a race to 75,065.1 (as you say), which it so clearly is not.
I'm not claiming to be an authority on this but I think it is a challenge to surpass 70.065.1 within a year, be it 365 or 360 days.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm not claiming to be an authority on this but I think it is a challenge to surpass 70.065.1 within a year, be it 365 or 360 days.

The challenge is to cycle the furthest you can in one year (highest annual milage), much like the premise of a 12 hour time trial is to cycle as far as you can within the 12 hours. If you cover a milage higher than that of the current competition record by 11.5 hours in, stop, climb off and sit on the kerb, they won't declare you the new competition record holder until the 12 hours have passed.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's right, but Kurt assuming he is ahead cannot submit that mileage until AFTER Steve finishes
Why not? What's your annual mileage so far this year? Those miles done already count, don't they? Annual mileage is what you've already done so far unless you're measuring a completed year. Note that the rules are for the ''highest annual mileage''

....he still cannot submit this result for verification until one year after he started.

That point seems to be the key, and I hope that's correct. It's not (unless I've missed it) in the one year addendum to the UMCA rules though. Does a clause of that sort definitely exist within the UMCA rules in general somewhere? Presumably yes, but does anyone know that for sure?

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Just checked current progress. Kurt seems to be using the wind again. 50 odd miles straight west with a 13 mph tail wind gusting to 26mph. nice temperature of 21c.
He will have to turn north soon so it will be a crosswind unless he gets in the van and drives east first for another straight west leg. ( is that allowed?)

Just checked current progress. Kurt seems to be using the wind again. 50 odd miles straight west with a 13 mph tail wind gusting to 26mph. nice temperature of 21c.
He will have to turn north soon so it will be a crosswind unless he gets in the van and drives east first for another straight west leg. ( is that allowed?)
Yes it's allowed. Tommy did it all the time! Using trains though, not a Winnebago.:tongue::laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That point seems to be the key, and I hope that's correct. It's not (unless I've missed it) in the one year addendum to the UMCA rules though. Does a clause of that sort definitely exist within the UMCA rules in general somewhere? Presumably yes, but does anyone know that for sure?
Rules are here - http://ultracycling.com/sections/records/max-mileage.php

Unhelpful though. I can't see anything about having to wait until day 365 to submit the distance, and the records chairman will have more or less daily access to the distances covered. It does say:
  1. Definition of year: Attempt may start on any day of the year and will run for 365 consecutive days.
I don't see that submitting 0 mileage for the last few days would invalidate the miles already accrued under that definition.

That's the addendum I meant, yes. I was wondering if the standard rules (referred to in the addendum) do specifically stipulate only being able to submit for the record at the end of the event, which would be 365 days in this case. I'm guessing the standard rules are pretty long and complex, so I didn't really fancy going and reading them, hoping someone more knowledgeable might already know (?).

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Copy from Utracycling
By October 26, Godwin broke the record set by the Australian. But he did not stop there. He continued riding until December 31, amassing an unbelievable mileage total of 75,065 miles in one year. But even then, he did not stop. He wanted to get to 100,000 miles in the fewest days possible, so he rode on and in May 1940, he hit 100,000 miles in exactly 500 days.

So there we have it
If its time it has to be how far you can ride in a year
If its distance then its how quickly can you ride 100,000 miles
It is not how quickly you can pass 750065miles

I suspect if both riders are still going at the end of the year they will be tempted to push for the sub 500 day 100,000 since it will be unlikely they (or anyone else) will ever get another chance.

Top Bottom