205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The UCI normally have strict rules concerning machines used to break records. They have only just changed the requiment for the hour record to tempt the current pros who shunned it before.
But they still would not let them ride a recumbent for the attempt.
It's already been pointed out, but UCI rules do not apply - it's the UltraMarathon Cycling Association (UMCA) governing the HAM'R, not the UCI. The UMCA's rules for this record attempt have been published elsewhere with links here on CC but here they are again. Rule 5 says recumbents are permitted so long as they do not have faring. These rules were agreed with all 3 current challengers; in fact, I understand Steve and William had a lot of input into what the rules actually say.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
OK Velovoice thanks for that. I was just spounting opions off the top of my head, but if its been agreed with the other competitors then that really is all that counts.
I still believe though that just because it is such a huge challenge then even if the smallest percentage advantage gained using a certain configuration of machine will over the entire year multiply the overall gains.
Additionaly if what Mcshroom says is true then I also don't think he should be able to swap machines to suit the conditions. If he is riding a recumbent then he should stay on it come what may and any record he sets will be for a recumbent machine only.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
[QUOTE 3486545, member: 9609"]There seems to be a bit of unfairness with the weather, I would guess big miles are a little easier in San Diego and Florida at the moment.
And that must have been one straight road Pruett used to get to Dallas Link

Never mind though, our boy is showing them how its done no matter how bad the weather is.[/QUOTE]

Even without the long line to Dallas all those other lines on that map shown in the link are highly suspicious all dead straight some going directly over water! Someone needs to tell him this is bicycle event.

Even without the long line to Dallas all those other lines on that map shown in the link are highly suspicious all dead straight some going directly over water! Someone needs to tell him this is bicycle event.
No need to panic. It's a glitch already brought to the provider's attention (when Kurt got on an airplane to Florida). The company said "We will need to adapt the code to ignore non-cycling legs (such as Kurt is planning). Please bear with us in the meantime."

Very dodgy when Steve has to use 4 devices to verify his daily milage

https://burlycross.wordpress.com/2015/01/15/tg/
Would YOU do something this important and tech-dependent without backup?
As for "verifying", he only has to wear the Tracker and have some kind of device to record his rides in a format that can be uploaded to Strava within 24 hours. He is not "required" to have 4 devices - he's just being cautious - and given his experience, I wouldn't presume to say he's wrong.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I am saying the american bloke cannot even get is route verified properly because of "software issues" but our man Steve just gets on with it using multiple devices available to anyone.

I am saying the american bloke cannot even get is route verified properly because of "software issues" but our man Steve just gets on with it using multiple devices available to anyone.
Where had you heard that Kurt "cannot even get his route verified properly"??
I think you'll find, if you read the rules and check what is actually happening, that he is totally okay. Code glitches for the TRACKER (not Strava, which is the main validation tool) are being accounted for and not in any way threatening his validation.
And your earlier use of the word "dodgy" was clearly pointed at Steve, so I don't know what you were getting at.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Mike o
Of course not. I was just comparing TG's effort with the american. Not so many normal riders could have done what Steve did yesterday.

Just so long as Steve keeps going and breaks Tommy's record he cannot fail. The record is for 365 days and however many easy miles Tarzan locks up, he doesn't have a time machine so Steve will get there first and hold the record, it wont matter if it gets broken a week later he will still have held it, and I might say won it fairly in a comparable manner to the original record.

MichaelO

Guru
Just so long as Steve keeps going and breaks Tommy's record he cannot fail. The record is for 365 days and however many easy miles Tarzan locks up, he doesn't have a time machine so Steve will get there first and hold the record, it wont matter if it gets broken a week later he will still have held it, and I might say won it fairly in a comparable manner to the original record.
Unless Tarzan reaches Godwin's mileage before Steve does. Far too early to conjecture, but the "interesting" part of this competition will be when Steve starts hitting his larger mileage days in Spring/Summer. Will Tarzan be able to keep pace then?

What a year to look forward to :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm enjoying following his daily adventures. Anyone know whether he's been through any parts yet?

I saw that on one of his bikes the chain needed changing. And a report today says that the bearings on one of his front wheels seem to be shot.
Not much else.

Top Bottom