205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This might be an odd question but it was one that a client asked me this morning.

If Steve is riding along and finds himself 50 miles from home but with a broken bike/blizzard white out/force 9 gale or something that stops him riding back, can he finish and log the ride on his GPS and then hop on a train home?
I said that I couldn't see why not as it's no different from finding yourself 150 miles from home and checking into a B&B to fix a bike or wait out a weather anomaly. Was I correct in that assumption or does he have to go to whatever destination that he has planned?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This might be an odd question but it was one that a client asked me this morning.

If Steve is riding along and finds himself 50 miles from home but with a broken bike/blizzard white out/force 9 gale or something that stops him riding back, can he finish and log the ride on his GPS and then hop on a train home?
I said that I couldn't see why not as it's no different from finding yourself 150 miles from home and checking into a B&B to fix a bike or wait out a weather anomaly. Was I correct in that assumption or does he have to go to whatever destination that he has planned?

Tommy Godwin used to get a train in the morning or evening and cycle to the destination or home.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Here is a great graph (thanks to Jo @ YACF)

Steve progress is Red
Tommy's is Grey
IronOx is Green

oyttDay9.png
@ianrauk , is Jo at YACF planning to keep this graph going all year long? And if you're a regular over there, what's the post title?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Forgive me if this has all been explained before but how does the body recover in such small time frames, how do you avoid tendinitis, repetitive strain injuries etc etc! I think it's an absolutely amazing challenge but doing it every day of the year, blimey.........tough. I just rode 41 miles and just about dragged my sorry arse home battling for 20 miles in a bitch of a headwind, and I'm complaining? KUDOS.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Best to read Steve's short biography and his explanation of his preparations, both on his website.

U

User6179

Forgive me if this has all been explained before but how does the body recover in such small time frames, how do you avoid tendinitis, repetitive strain injuries etc etc! I think it's an absolutely amazing challenge but doing it every day of the year, blimey.........tough. I just rode 41 miles and just about dragged my sorry arse home battling for 20 miles in a bitch of a headwind, and I'm complaining? KUDOS.

That's the test, whether the body can recover quick enough , the guy obviously has the endurance to cover 200 miles plus a day quite easily so it will come down to how quickly he can recover ,.

I too wonder about recovery time etc, but from what I understand of what Steve has already accomplished over the past 24 years, he doesn't wonder; he already knows. So those of us thinking this is something he is going to be exploring/discovering/learning over the coming year are probably (I dare to say) wrong: Recovery is not "the Test". Recovery, for Steve, is already a known, a given, a familiar friend.

Of course, this doesn't stop me wondering about how he does it but my doubt/fear/worry/whatever is informed by my knowledge of my body, wondering what I'd need to do if it were me attempting this challenge. Fact is, I don't know what I'd need because I've never attempted even one tiny miniscule portion of all the stuff Steve has already succeeded at doing. At the end of the day, what I "wonder" isn't relevant. Because it's not me doing it - it's Steve. And I am not Steve.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
57 miles so far. Looks like it's a series of loops aroune the Oxon - Bucks - Northants borders.

Top Bottom