205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Here's the bottom line. A bloke I vaguely know, who has proffered me a bit of cake at the J31 service station on the M25, who I've ridden with on the (very) odd occasion, is undertaking a feat of phenomenal cycling endurance. And I can be a part of that. It's mind boggling.
This ^^^^.
Interesting/sad how people make all kinds of assumptions about a person they've never met though.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
This ^^^^.
Interesting/sad how people make all kinds of assumptions about a person they've never met though.
People are like that though.
Personally, I've never met him but think that what he is undertaking is bloody brilliant.

blazed

220lb+
Nothing wrong with discussion at all. The bit I don't understand is the need to carp about stuff like his shonky website and untidy bike room etc etc etc. As for dismissing everything that isn't said carping as fawning, it is just
I am simply making observations about someone who has put themselves in the public eye. There are thousands of examples of similar posts on this forum, however Abraham seems to be protected by the collective man crush powers of cyclechat.

To whoever mentioned the TDF they are completely different. In Abraham we are celebrating a man, who literally has no life.

blazed

220lb+
This ^^^^.
Praise to you, he who[/QUOTE] You have never judged anybody or assumed anything about anybody unless personally getting to know them? I doubt it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If he lived in Denmark he would be hating todays ride. It is blowing a gale with horizontal rain today. I am not even looking forward to walking down the garden to the shed.

Power to his elbow though. At least he is having a go at it. Its not something that I would attempt.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If he lived in Denmark he would be hating todays ride. It is blowing a gale with horizontal rain today. I am not even looking forward to walking down the garden to the shed.

Power to his elbow though. At least he is having a go at it. Its not something that I would attempt.

Quite so. Today in UK it's not cycling weather but he'll be out there doing 200 miles or so. In that, I think we should celebrate a particularly fine example of British eccentricity. He's dong it for no monetary gain (in fact a considerable monetary loss) and, outside the keen cycling fraternity, very little publicity. Presumably at the end of the year he'll go back to his life before. Yet he's putting himself through a year of what appears to be torture. So three cheers for him in upholding a British tradition of utter madness.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am simply making observations about someone who has put themselves in the public eye. There are thousands of examples of similar posts on this forum, however Abraham seems to be protected by the collective man crush powers of cyclechat.

To whoever mentioned the TDF they are completely different. In Abraham we are celebrating a man, who literally has no life.

What is this life you talk about? is it one of choices, if so I think the guy has made his choice so certainly has a life. Or has he no life because he does not conform to what you see as life.

http://blog.brooksengland.com/wps/ride-eat-sleep-repeat-x-365/

Take a look at the state of the guys flat. It's just looks like an unhealthy obsession of someone who probably needed to find more balance and jot focus his entire life on Audax.

But I anyway I won't post anymore about it. I get that it's ok to criticize a man who crashes his bike and is seriously injured (Bono) on Cyclechat but not ok to criticize Abraham in anyway even though he's put himself in the public eye.

That's probably about the same state as most people's garages. Not many people keep cars in them these days! I can't see anything wrong with using a spare room as a dumping ground like that, especially if you don't have anywhere else safe to keep your bikes.

swansonj

Guru
He's going to have a cracking Eddington number at the end of it.
I hate to think what his Eddington number is already (anyone know?). It must surely be well into the 200s already, and the structure of the metric is that he may only increase it by a relatively small increment .... a small increment representing an unimaginable achievement.

PpPete

Legendary Member
What is this life you talk about? is it one of choices, if so I think the guy has made his choice so certainly has a life. Or has he no life because he does not conform to what you see as life.
This ^^^^^
Or indeed .... isn't human life all about challenging the boundaries of what is possible?
As the human race has become ever more technologically efficient and pushed back the boundaries of what is possible in sport, Steve has chosen to try and demonstrate that the limits of what humans are capable of have yet to be reached.
Yes, you have to be a 'special' person to even contemplate this kind of thing - most of us only push the boundaries of what we ourselves are capable of.

Rather than 'no life' I see this attempt of Steve's as being truly life-affirming.

swansonj

Guru
Can I state the bleeping obvious? The reason so many of us are head over heals enfatuated with this attempt, and possibly therefore slightly less tolerant of petty, carping criticisms than we would usually be, is that it is something that comes out of the same world as we inhabit. Riding a steel bike with a Brooks saddle - riding on our own a and B roads in the same weather as us - having racks, inner tubes and (for some of us) mudguards piled up in our homes or garages - eating lots of cake - these are things we identify with, as opposed to most sporting records or achievements which occupy a different world. I enjoy watching Cav or Wiggo but I never think "that's what I do", but I can think that about Steve - it's what I do, just at an unimaginably different level.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
who literally has no life.
Literally?
I think what the gentleman is doing is amazing but how much it ultimately means to me or anybody else is irrelevant, it means everything to him. As it happens he appears to have plenty of supporters that will be willing him on for the next 12 months.
The physical effort required is astonishing but for me it's the mental toughness that the guy must have, I find it mind boggling. I am in awe of the fact that he is even attempting this and I would love to see him do it.

Top Bottom