205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafletcher

Über Member
Pioneering is not the right term. Yesterday I saw a programme about one of our finest following the Nile from the source to the end. They got robbed, a journalist who had a whole lot achievement following similar stories just as dangerous died along the way. Thats pioneering. Its about opening new ground.

He heardly did it "unsupported" though did he? Sat phone comms to a UK fixer. And what about, oh, Dr Livingston. Hardly "new ground". Hardly even new TV. Entertaining enough though.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Is there a link to a running total? [Sorry, haven't time to trawl through 27 pages].

17 days should be 3,485 miles.... how's he coping so far?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry I should have said 2728, Tommy's mileage at the same date was 2374

SA.jpg

swansonj

Guru
I ask this question with the very greatest of trepidation, but is Steve wearing a helmet for this attempt? There are plenty of pictures of him helmet-less but that pic seems to show helmet over cycle cap. I stress that my admiration for him will not in one whit be altered by the answer....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I ask this question with the very greatest of trepidation, but is Steve wearing a helmet for this attempt? There are plenty of pictures of him helmet-less but that pic seems to show helmet over cycle cap. I stress that my admiration for him will not in one whit be altered by the answer....
He is, simply because the UMCA insist on one. In other rules they also insist on him abstaining from alcohol for the year (no champagne if he passes Tommy Godwin's total), and more weirdly, his volunteer team manager also has to stay teetotal for the year.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
He is, simply because the UMCA insist on one. In other rules they also insist on him abstaining from alcohol for the year (no champagne if he passes Tommy Godwin's total), and more weirdly, his volunteer team manager also has to stay teetotal for the year.

Well, I was intending to have a crack at the (new?)record myself next year but if I can't have a few pints after riding over 200 miles every day I've changed my mind.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is that a current picture? What's the spec of the bike? Is that one of them? Sorry lots of questions!

Not a current pic no.
The Raleigh Sojourn bikes ( x3) were supplied by Raleigh with the following spec

Raleigh Sojourn
Hope headset and BB
Alpha 340 rims on this bike, 400 on another
Shimano PD-M540 pedals
Shimano barend shifters in TranzX aerobars
Carradice rackpack
Brooks saddle and handlebar tape

This is the standard bike.
SOJ50BLK.jpg

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes I see, for some reason thought he would have thousands and thousands of pounds of kit, rather more impressive (as if it can be any more impressive) to be riding on modest kit.

Top Bottom