205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I am simply making observations about someone who has put themselves in the public eye. There are thousands of examples of similar posts on this forum, however Abraham seems to be protected by the collective man crush powers of cyclechat.

To whoever mentioned the TDF they are completely different. In Abraham we are celebrating a man, who literally has no life.

As opposed to the rich and colourful existence of an internet troll?

simon.r

Person
Can I state the bleeping obvious? The reason so many of us are head over heals enfatuated with this attempt, and possibly therefore slightly less tolerant of petty, carping criticisms than we would usually be, is that it is something that comes out of the same world as we inhabit. Riding a steel bike with a Brooks saddle - riding on our own a and B roads in the same weather as us - having racks, inner tubes and (for some of us) mudguards piled up in our homes or garages - eating lots of cake - these are things we identify with, as opposed to most sporting records or achievements which occupy a different world. I enjoy watching Cav or Wiggo but I never think "that's what I do", but I can think that about Steve - it's what I do, just at an unimaginably different level.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm pretty chuffed with my 85 mile year to date total, all ridden in less than perfect conditions and mostly in the dark. I can only look on in amazement at someone who has done 17 times that, whatever his motivation or lifestyle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Here is a great graph (thanks to Jo @ YACF)

Steve progress is Red
Tommy's is Grey
IronOx is Green

oyttDay9.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
So he's behind, but only on a linear scale?

And who the hell is Tommy and IronOX?!

Tommy is Tommy Godwin, the current record holder.
IronOx is William Pruett, an American who is also embarking on the challenge.
Kurt Tarzan Searvogal, another American will be starting the challenge tomorrow.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Oh right so Steves record could tumble within days of him achieving it? Why all at once as well?!
I should think that knowing there are others doing the attempt is motivational, reducing the sense of isolation and giving points of reference so that they can measure how they're doing against the ''it's not a race'' competition. It looks like SA is about 120 miles down on the 205 all year average but is around 80 miles ahead of where TG was at this stage.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It certainly appears a bit unsporting to start a few days behind, seeing as that affords the opportunity to shadow the other person's efforts.
And he can ride in much nicer weather too.
It should be a uk record based on uk roads and climate.

Seriously, where's the fun in that? Anyway, the records indicate it's easier in the UK than elsewhere. I certainly would prefer doing 330 km a day on gritted roads at 3 degrees, than in a week long heat wave where the minimum temperature never gets below 25 and the maximum hovers around 40.

Screen Shot 2015-01-09 at 11.34.24.jpg

Edit: poor aussie, Ossie Nicholson; held the record twice, and doesn't even get a wikipedia entry :sad:

Edit 2: Steve is doing Paris-Brest-Paris, so your rules would rule him out.

MisterStan

Label Required
I think the clue might be in the name 'World Endurance Record'.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The reason that there are three is basically because Steve managed to get the UMCA to agree rules for what would need to be done for validation (Guinness refuse to take any more entries as they think it's a 'record too dangerous to break'). It's a bit like the fact that there are so many hour record attempts now because of the rule changes at the UCI last year. Now there is a record and a body that will validate it, other ultra-distance cyclists have decided to have a go.

I don't like the idea that other riders are starting later, but it does mean that Steve has one record to break, Tommy Godwin's (which the target he has had since childhood), whereas the other two have Steve to beat as well (if he manages to take the record). If Steve passes TG's record then he will always be a distance record holder, whatever happens afterwards with others.

From what I understand, Kurt Searvogal is going about the ride a different way, in that he intends to ride faster, shorter days. He's ridden RAAM, so is no stranger to ultra distance events. William Pruett is intending to do this around his job as a cycle trainer, though his attempt so far doesn't seem to make any sense as he's hardly riding anywhere (where he's based it's about the same temperatures as here at the moment)

With respect to location, Steve doesn't have to stay in the UK if he doesn't want to (in fact he's planning to ride Paris-Brest-Paris this summer if he can get it to fit). Changing location does lose you time in transfers though, and is logistically more difficult than staying close to home.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
This subject has been divided into 2 threads, one for the Progress Reports and this one for General Discussion.

Some posts in this thread have been Moved and some Copied to the Progress Reports one (which is in Road Riding and Audax, since you ask. ;))

Please keep the Reports thread to just that - Reporting progress and commenting on Progress. Use this thread for more general Discussion :thumbsup: - and keep it nice and civil, please. :hugs:

:blush: err ... some of you whose posts have been Moved/Copied may have received a (lot of) notification(s) about their Moving/Copying. My apologies. :shy:

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tommy is Tommy Godwin, the current record holder.
IronOx is William Pruett, an American who is also embarking on the challenge.
Kurt Tarzan Searvogal, another American will be starting the challenge tomorrow.
Clearly these are people who literally have no life .....

Top Bottom