205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The problem with drafting is that Steve is riding to a heart-rate in an effort not to over exert himself. This means that he varies in speed quite markedly depending on the terrain, and differently to how most riders ride. He will be drafting others at some points, but it won't be the easist job to do.

Drafting will probably work better for Tarzan who starts on Saturday, as he's going for higher speed shorter days.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The problem with drafting is that Steve is riding to a heart-rate in an effort not to over exert himself. This means that he varies in speed quite markedly depending on the terrain, and differently to how most riders ride. He will be drafting others at some points, but it won't be the easist job to do.

Drafting will probably work better for Tarzan who starts on Saturday, as he's going for higher speed shorter days.

Whoever is giving him a tow will simply have to ride to his schedule/intensity, therefore the 'problem' you point out is not a problem!

screenman

Legendary Member
I have done loads of ride with blokes sticking to a HR level, up a bit or knock it back seems to work fine.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If being able to listen to and respond appropriately to instructions such as "ease up" or "push on" makes me a cycling god, then I am guilty as charged!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I honestly have trouble believing the 1st record even happened....
I don't. It's beyond checking now anyway.

In 1939 it was a different world, cheating just wasn't cricket. People were a lot more honest in those day. Scrupulously so if you believe my dad.
Tommy Godwin's cards were checked by a lot of different people too, not just the same few bods. His milometer was a sealed unit. I think that it's an honest record and as accurate as could be made with 1939 tech.

I don't. It's beyond checking now anyway.

In 1939 it was a different world, cheating just wasn't cricket. People were a lot more honest in those day. Scrupulously so if you believe my dad.
I don't believe Tommy cheated, but I also don't believe that 1939 was a blessed time, where people were more honest than today; you do know what was happening in Germany right then?

(ok, so I have tangentially referred to the Nazis here. Does this mean Godwin's law applies? And if it does apply, is it dangerous in a thread about Tommy Godwin? Is this a paradox that might swallow the internet?)

Saluki

I don't believe Tommy cheated, but I also don't believe that 1939 was a blessed time, where people were more honest than today; you do know what was happening in Germany right then?

(ok, so I have tangentially referred to the Nazis here. Does this mean Godwin's law applies? And if it does apply, is it dangerous in a thread about Tommy Godwin? Is this a paradox that might swallow the internet?)
Yes, I remember something or other was going on in Germany at the time, from my degree course but I'm not quite sure what Hitler has to do with long distance cycling.
Godwinian paradoxes aside I don't think that sports people were quite the cheaters that some of them are nowadays (Armstrong, I'm looking at you).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Yes, I remember something or other was going on in Germany at the time, from my degree course but I'm not quite sure what Hitler has to do with long distance cycling.

9488803.68f85d3c.640.jpg

Godwinian paradoxes aside I don't think that sports people were quite the cheaters that some of them are nowadays (Armstrong, I'm looking at you).
I assumed from context that you (or your father) was speaking about people generally in 1939, not just cyclists. But a quick google finds that people were cheating at cycling in 1936. German again, so perhaps that's the difference.

Saluki

I assumed from context that you (or your father) was speaking about people generally in 1939, not just cyclists. But a quick google finds that people were cheating at cycling in 1936. German again, so perhaps that's the difference.
Dad said that people were generally more honest in '39 than now. Then again, he was born in 1926 (he was quite an 'old' dad) and saw the late 30's as a good time to be growing up in. Finding bits of ammo in the streets and whatnot was fun, he said. Rose tinted specs syndrome? He was a keen leisure cyclist all his life and thought that Tommy Godwin, Walter Greaves, Bernard Bennett, Billie Dovey etc were legends even if one of them was a woman. He would never entertain the thought that such people would deliberately falsify their timings and mileages.

Top Bottom