205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I phoned a colleague to tell him about this. He does a bit of cycling, club time trails, the odd sportive, that sort of stuff. I had him guess how many miles a day Steve was aiming to do.

Him: "Hmm. You say the record was set in 1939?. Well they were all barmy back then. Seventy five miles a day?"
Me: "No. Two hundred and five"
Him: "fark off"

mmmmartin

Random geezer
being back in your own surroundings every night would make the record much more achievable.
Not really, at home he has to do all the work of bike fettling, cooking, feeding, washing clothes, etc. when hosted he has that done for him, hence the chat about his "demanding" tone when asking for hosts.

Look, this is impossible. Cycling 75,000 miles in a year is madness. He has given up his job to have a go at a world record. It is going to be tough, and often he will think the world is against this entire thing. Just one small event can end all his hopes and leave him jobless and penniless. Of course this is madness. But Brits seem to have a trait of being very good at simply not giving up. What he is attempting cannot be done. Which is precisely why he's doing it.
Because if it was possible, someone would have done it long ago.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I honestly have trouble believing the 1st record even happened....

you miss a day through illness and you add (205 / however many days are left in the year) miles to your required daily average.

The support team you would need is insane, 2 guys in the club did the everest challenge this year and the whole family and the most of the club members were there to support them over the 18 odd hours.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I honestly have trouble believing the 1st record even happened....

you miss a day through illness and you add (205 / however many days are left in the year) miles to your required daily average.

The support team you would need is insane, 2 guys in the club did the everest challenge this year and the whole family and the most of the club members were there to support them over the 18 odd hours.

I imagine your club members and the 2 riders families were out to offer encouragement etc because they wanted to rather than because those riding actually needed so much support :tongue:

Riding up and down a hill all day should require pretty much zero support, stash some bottles/food at the top and/or bottom and job is done!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A bit more than that. There are at least ten of us in the main team, plus people offering accommodation and support.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I imagine your club members and the 2 riders families were out to offer encouragement etc because they wanted to rather than because those riding actually needed so much support :tongue:

Riding up and down a hill all day should require pretty much zero support, stash some bottles/food at the top and/or bottom and job is done!

Indeed. A guy did it at Mam Nick in Edale on his own I think. Stashed a load of food and drink at the bottom and then rode up it all day

jarlrmai

Veteran
205/364 miles or 991 yards per day. Trivial for one day off. A couple of weeks would be harder but not a day.

Only if you miss the 1st day of the year, as the year draws on the risk of missing a day grows unless you have miles in the bank.

Top Bottom