205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
This guy is a few spokes short of a full wheel.
You can read his brief biography here. What he doesn't tell you is how he has over several years put a huge amount back by coaching aspiring long-distance cyclists, running an annual 600 for beginners and patiently shepherding many folk through what they thought was impossible.

Having ridden many miles with him I can attest that he is an intelligent and amusing companion.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Anyone else fed up with posts discussing whether it's worth doing, is he bonkers, ad nauseam?

He's doing it anyway - no-one is forcing you to care, to follow, to approve - if it doesn't dingle your dangle, then it's easy enough to ignore.
It would be nice if this thread could just be about his progress and news updates.
Those of you who don't appreciate his efforts and motives could maybe start a new thread about it.
I'll even give you the thread title for nowt ...
Things that Some People Do Which I Don't Like and Intend to Bang on About Until Hell Freezes Over.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Anyone else fed up with posts discussing whether it's worth doing, is he bonkers, ad nauseam?

He's doing it anyway - no-one is forcing you to care, to follow, to approve - if it doesn't dingle your dangle, then it's easy enough to ignore.
It would be nice if this thread could just be about his progress and news updates.
Those of you who don't appreciate his efforts and motives could maybe start a new thread about it.
Things that Some People Do Which I Don't Like and Intend to Bang on About Until Hell Freezes Over.
Well said, and about time.

KneesUp

Guru
He seems to relish the challenge.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Terribly sorry; I was under the impression that this was a discussion forum, and as such people with differing views on this record attempt would be allowed to express their opinion without being ridiculed.

There is nothing in the thread title to suggest that it is solely for the purpose of posting about his progress and news updates, or that only positive posts are welcome. In fact the OP seems to invite debate. As with other subjects on this forum, not everyone shares the same views. I always thought that was a good thing?

Those of you who only want to read about updates could maybe start a new thread about it. I'll even give you the thread title for nowt....
Tommy Godwin Challenge. News and Updates Only.

Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Good luck to the guy & I hope he does it. He's like many of us on here, wanting to increase on last years mileage :laugh: Having never met the guy, just read about him online I honestly believe he's a nutter, but in a nice way :thumbsup:

I've not ridden with him much but sat in cafe controls with him now and again. Nutter but in a nice way? Yep, that pretty much sums him up.

Apparently the rules are that you start on the 1st Jan and finish on the 31st December.

I understand thats not the case. There is s
Terribly sorry; I was under the impression that this was a discussion forum, and as such people with differing views on this record attempt would be allowed to express their opinion without being ridiculed.

Those of you who only want to read about updates could maybe start a new thread about it. I'll even give you the thread title for nowt....
Tommy Godwin Challenge. News and Updates Only.

i realised that it was more an adulation rather than a discussion thread. So I created a separate thread to discuss the way the host volunteers were approached. That was closed. I would have thought a merge would be more appropriate if the desire is to contain it within one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re the record attempt, I haven't read all of this thread so I don't know if this has been discussed, but didn't Godwin start every ride from home? Surely being back in your own surroundings every night would make the record much more achievable.

Top Bottom