205 miles in a day (Tommy Godwin Challenge) - the Discussion thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hope the only thing that exceeds his determination to get the record is his determination to preserve his long term health.

If that's true, all will be well and I will salute him whatever the outcome.

Tim Hall

Don't you think that cycling that distance would be up there or even surpass say climbing Mount Everest , reaching the north pole , any other cycling record out there .

For the record I don't think he will do it but if he did it would be some record ,I fear fatigue will get him at some point and under doctors orders he will stop .
Given his approach to dentistry (a screwdriver was involved) I don't think doctors' orders will have much effect.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Good luck to him. Seem's like someone trying to fulfil a dream. Hope he succeeds. Much better idea than throwing dolphins over Everest from a canoe in the Amazon, or whatever else it was which was suggested and it may seem pointless to some, even unhealthy, but life is pretty pointless if you really think about it, so if you can do what you want to do, no matter what anyone says, then you are the king of the world. The man should be held up as an example to all.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
it woudl be better if that site displayed distances travelled per day and rolling avergae per day (given hey didnt all strat at same tiime. a minute by minute guide to rolling speed is a tad pointless in a 365 day race / audax

It certainly would.

To be fair to the support team, I think it's a work in progress.

Would have been nice to have it all neat and tidy from day one, but that's unrealistic with volunteers and bare bones funding.

Origamist

Legendary Member
He's mad, he's mad! He's madder than mad Jack McMad winner of last year's Mr Mad Man Competition.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

TR

The two Americans haven't started their challenges yet. It looks like they are just testing their equipment.
Each rider had to specify their start date - recorded on each rider's Tracker profile. Steve's says 1/1, Kurt's 1/10 and William's 1/4. Given that Steve and Kurt had publicised their starts as the 1st and 10th January respectively, it seems reasonable to infer from the Tracker profile info that William had stated he was starting on the 4th. I am not entirely sure that he has in fact started. If he has, then his equipment is severely malfunctioning! (which is a real worry I had for Steve - fingers crossed so far so good).

Crankarm

Guru
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly... and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

TR

Source?

Top Bottom