20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will the reduced claims trickle down through the algorithms resulting in reduced premiums?

Or not

I wonder...🤔
Only if the accident management companies are regulated

https://www.theguardian.com/money/article/2024/may/11/cars-charges-insurance-premiums-cost-of-claims

Alex321

Guru
That's a compelling reason for the limits - each saved injury is a significant cost saving to the NHS and the person injured. The Police are now tightening up on the limits, and I think most are justified. There are a few roads where people are getting caught out, and fined regular, as it's easy to pick up speed (coastal road near Rhos-On-Sea) as it descends from the 'Little Orme' - big article in the Local News about drivers getting caught.

I've actually found it quite 'relaxing' but as a visitor, I've got to 'remember' - pull away from a junction and you are very quickly at 20, just need to remember to take the foot off the accelerator. Riding has been OK, but drivers are, in the main, still exceeding 20.

I tend to use cruise control, so engage that immediately after pulling away, and then I can just forget the throttle unless there is other traffic going slower, and I know I won't go more than 1-2mph above the limit unless I get caught out by a downhill.

I have had cases where I have been doing 20-22 and had other impatient drivers overtake me though.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I used to like them from the perspective of a cyclist but not necessarily as a driver. Having had time to acclimatise I have little issue with them in the car now, either - as long as they're applied in appropriate areas.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Doing the school run this morning, we could do with a 20mph limit for the entire 7 mile journey. There are 15 sets of traffic lights on the route, and everyone insists on accelerating/overtaking cyclists/lane changing to get to the next red light. I think a 20 limit may encourage a more steady flow of traffic. But as usual it's the idiotic and impatient drivers who will either break the speed limit, or drive furiously whatever the speed limit is, as long as there are no cameras. There is one strecth of 30mph with average speed cameras and there is rarely a cue there; suggesting that an enforced slower limit maybe forces drivers to think there's no point in racing ahead and then suddenly stopping

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Doing the school run this morning, we could do with a 20mph limit for the entire 7 mile journey. There are 15 sets of traffic lights on the route, and everyone insists on accelerating/overtaking cyclists/lane changing to get to the next red light. I think a 20 limit may encourage a more steady flow of traffic. But as usual it's the idiotic and impatient drivers who will either break the speed limit, or drive furiously whatever the speed limit is, as long as there are no cameras. There is one strecth of 30mph with average speed cameras and there is rarely a cue there; suggesting that an enforced slower limit maybe forces drivers to think there's no point in racing ahead and then suddenly stopping

Just to reiterate my mildy contradictory post; IME the enforcement of a limit with average speed cameras seems to be more effective than simply putting up a 20mph sign. That said, it's entirely possible that an enforced 20mph limit would be as effective, if not more, than an enforced 30

Gunk

Guru
We live siding on to a busy road coming in to Oxford and the 20 mph limit has been in force for almost exactly a year. It has taken a lot of getting used to but finally most drivers are now driving below 30 mph (not many do 20). However the real difference is the noise in our garden, the levels have definitely dropped, the speeds were probably averaging over 40 mph before.

Personally, I think 20 mph limits make a lot of sense in a lot of places that are currently 30 mph or even higher. Particularly in urban and residential areas where mean average speed is a lot less than 30 mph.

There's a few places I know of where there's a short stretch 40 mph road sandwiched between 30 mph zones with junctions and traffic lights at each end. You can cycle along such stretches (or alongside where there's a cycle track) between 15 and 20 mph and still be faster than the motorised traffic after it's queued up at each end.

I also think drivers who consistently accelerate quickly and brake heavily when there's inevitably trafic queues further ahead should be prosecuted for inconsiderate driving on account that they are not accounting for the conditions. It results in more noise, more pollution and more damage to infrastructure.

Reminds me, I had someone bomb past me in a 20 mph zone - I was driving and travelling at about 18 mph in-between speed bumps, which I slow down to around 12-13 mph for in order to take them comfortably. In fact, if it's quiet (late at night), I'll drive the whole road at 12-13 mph as the acceleration/deceleration is wasteful. Someone in a people carrier took exception and bombed passed me - in a cloud of toxic blue smoke and disappeared out of sight. I caught them and sat behind them in the traffic queue at the next set of lights. Absolutely pointless.

If people really cared about the environment, they'd reduce the impact of their driving by buying the smallest/most economical car they can get away with and driving it in a careful and considerate manner. Sadly this applies only to a minority of drivers.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just to reiterate my mildy contradictory post; IME the enforcement of a limit with average speed cameras seems to be more effective than simply putting up a 20mph sign. That said, it's entirely possible that an enforced 20mph limit would be as effective, if not more, than an enforced 30

For cars to average 20 in towns they'd likely be peaking at 40 or 50mph

Top Bottom