20 MPH Limits - what's your thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you shouldn't be driving at the speed limit, then the speed limit is wrong.

Nope. There are many rural roads where 60 mph would be inappropriate but the national speed limit applies. There are many villages where the limit should not be 40 mph. Plus remember is an absolute limit after which you are breaking the law. You should not see it as a target. Many treat it as a minimum.

classic33

Leg End Member
None of the 20mph zones near me can be enforced due to the council going for the cheaper, undersized signs.

Many are only 2/3's of the legal minimum. 300mm, was 297mm(A4) when first introduced

Alex321

Guru
Nope. There are many rural roads where 60 mph would be inappropriate but the national speed limit applies.
IMO, it shouldn't.

Those rural roads should have appropriate limits set.

IU think it is utterly bonkers when you are driving along a nice, open and wide A or B road which has a 50 limit for whatever reason, but turn off onto a tiny lane, the limit immediately becomes 60.

That is just laziness on the part of traffic planners and regulators.

There are many villages where the limit should not be 40 mph. Plus remember is an absolute limit after which you are breaking the law. You should not see it as a target. Many treat it as a minimum.

I never see it as a target. But if that is the limit, then there should not be deliberate measures taken to cause you problems if you drive at that speed.

If the authorities think that 20mph is the maximum appropriate speed for a road, then they should set the limit to 20, not set it to 30 then put in speed bumps that can't be taken at more than 20.

Gillstay

Veteran
IMO, it shouldn't.

Those rural roads should have appropriate limits set.

IU think it is utterly bonkers when you are driving along a nice, open and wide A or B road which has a 50 limit for whatever reason, but turn off onto a tiny lane, the limit immediately becomes 60.

That is just laziness on the part of traffic planners and regulators

Nope its that we have the luxury of living in a democracy that gives you responsibilities to drive according to the road conditions.

Otherwise they would end up having notices saying "When snowing dont go above 20mph' and other such nonsense.

Alex321

Guru
Nope its that we have the luxury of living in a democracy that gives you responsibilities to drive according to the road conditions.

Otherwise they would end up having notices saying "When snowing dont go above 20mph' and other such nonsense.

In that case, why have speed limits at all?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

They have notices kinda like that in France (motorway limit drops to 110 in the rain) which I don't think are particularly nonsensical or undemocratic.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In that case, why have speed limits at all?

Well this is the crux of the matter. If people could be trusted to behave responsibly then no speed limits would ever have been introduced anywhere.

But we can't be trusted.

Speed bumps are not the solution to the problem

I have to go over a stream of them when going to the grand-kids school
The speed limit is 30
I can go over the first few at about 25 without worrying about my car
Previous car had a slightly narrower wheel base so I only felt happy over them a few mph slower

after that I get to some rubber type ones that are steeper and I have to slow down to about 20 for them - same as previous car
Then I can go back to about 23-25 for the last 2

problem is that some people drive big SUVs with big tyres and wide wheel bases and can happily take them at 35 ish dunno how happy the car is but I have seen them overtake me (sometimes with a shaken fist and the impression I care!) at that sort of speed and wizz off

only the Gods know how fast an old mini could manage them!

clearly there are the square type ones in the middle of the lane and not the full width ones - but the same would apply to full width ones except for the wheel base thing

so idfferent cars can take them at differetn speeds - which is hardly the point and also makes people think an SUV is a good idea

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
There is a similar stretch near my work of about 1 mile with speed humps on - it's a 20 zone during school hours. I just set the cruise to 20mph so you can take the bumps and do the whole stretch at one speed. But then there's a particularly high/steep one at the end which you have to drop down to 2nd gear to take at 10mph. Again, it's lazy planning because it's uphill and on the way out of the school zone. But speed bumps aren't a bad way of regulating it, as long as they are well built and in the right places. If they're too far apart then people end up accelerating between them which sort of negates their function. And if they're that steep as to warrant a 10mph passing, then that just means more braking and acceleration to clear them

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Speed bumps are not the solution to the problem
[ ... ]
so idfferent cars can take them at differetn speeds - which is hardly the point and also makes people think an SUV is a good idea
I used to drive a Corsa and could go over those square ones centrally, one wheel each side. Then I got a Merc A class which had less clearance underneath and wider wheel spacing. First square speed bump I encountered made a very horrible scraping sound

Top Bottom