Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some great work in this thread :smile:

I have a very capable mate who's the daddy at most of this sort of stuff and who I envy greatly. On paper I should be capable of a fair bit of stuff; in practice it takes me weeks of planning and psyching myself up just to wipe my own arse.

Until yesterday we were on ADSL, however the local exchange is being shot into the centre of the sun this year so everyone is being forced to go to fibre.. man from BT came round yesterday and dephiled the house with his hammerdrill, now I need to install some structured cabling to get a decent line speed on the opposite side of the house.

I was supposed to be buying / installing the kit today, however predictably wasn't ready as no ideal solution exists and and the least-worst
solution is constantly changing.. it's like planning the fugging moon landing tbh and now it looks like the loft is coming into play - cue a fat part of tomorrow being assigned to crawling around in fibreglass and mouse shoot, then :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Wear a good mask.

I bought a full face mask, best PPE decision I have made, second was ear defenders.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm tiling the outside (standing area) of a downstairs shower floor. It's currently carpet over floorboards. Should I use tile backer board or osb? It's only 1500mm x 1350mm. If it makes any difference, I'm using lino tiles

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm tiling the outside (standing area) of a downstairs shower floor. It's currently carpet over floorboards. Should I use tile backer board or osb? It's only 1500mm x 1350mm. If it makes any difference, I'm using lino tiles

I would have thought a smooth finish boarding, so there isnt any chance of surface finish of backer coming through lino.

Always a good solid base, Cant you stick down a 4-8mm moisture resistant ply on top of the current flooring if its in good condition?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I would have thought a smooth finish boarding, so there isnt any chance of surface finish of backer coming through lino.

Always a good solid base, Cant you stick down a 4-8mm moisture resistant ply on top of the current flooring if its in good condition?

I was only thinking backing board due to ease of getting it into the car and cutting. They come in smaller sheets. But if osb would be better then I think I can get smaller sheets in Wickes. Do I have to seal it with anything first, and what adhesive should I use for vinyl tiles?

CXRAndy

Guru
I was only thinking backing board due to ease of getting it into the car and cutting. They come in smaller sheets. But if osb would be better then I think I can get smaller sheets in Wickes. Do I have to seal it with anything first, and what adhesive should I use for vinyl tiles?

You could lay the boarding in two pieces, allowing you to scribe the perimeter shape onto the board, the two straight sides but against each other. I would use a non expanding contact adhesive, either spray or liquid

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ok thanks. I have prepared the floorboards. Going to put a double layer of 10mm backing board as it's cheaper and more manageable than osb. Plus I don't have my circular saw at the moment. I'll then have a 2mm gap below the shower tray so I'll Silicone if possible or plastic edging strip if gap is too big

CXRAndy

Guru
Bit further forward

From this

1000010153.jpg

To this
1000010214.jpg

To this
1000010239.jpg

Edit checked the electric circuits post levelling screed. All good 👍

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan

Well, I got it all done last weekend. The tile backing boards (from Wickes) were excellent. Very managable sizes, they cut ok (if you have a sharp stanley knife, which I didn't, or a table saw, which I didn't, so I used scissors). It makes for a very sturdy base and is more forgiving on the foot than wood. I edged it round with L shaped UPVC edging and silicone; it's not the neatest job i the world but I was happy.

Then we had a leaking roof. I've never looked at roofs before so this one was a new one on me. The rain was accumilating on the flat roof and leaking through where the garage extension meets the main house. I fitted a roof tile at the top to divert the worst of the run-off to the other side of the sloped conservatory roof. Then I cleared out about 3 inches of dirt and weeds on the flat roof where it had been pooling, and made a silicone (actually, Gripfill) reservoir with a sloped run-off to the drain on the flat roof.

It's been bucketing down here for 3 days and so far so good, no more leaks, but we will have to re-decorate where the leaks have dried and bubbled the plaster/paint.

CXRAndy

Guru
After my self levelling pour to cover the underfloor heating. The joiner and I were checking levels around the downstairs rooms. There was too much variation in each room to make a good job of tiling or wood flooring. We called the site foreman, who called his boss, who called the leveling company to come back and reflow the entire downstairs with levelling latex.

Tomorrow the spirit level goes back down to check their work
1000010481.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After my self levelling pour to cover the underfloor heating. The joiner and I were checking levels around the downstairs rooms. There was too much variation in each room to make a good job of tiling or wood flooring. We called the site foreman, who called his boss, who called the leveling company to come back and reflow the entire downstairs with levelling latex.

Tomorrow the spirit level goes back down to check their work
View attachment 722432

This is your daughter's new house... flipping heck.

Top Bottom