Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Very nice work. I'm trying to summon up the courage to do a small porch!

Ooooh.......porch.........I've done one of those too:

C3kvyVL.jpg

Porch 1.JPG

Porch 2.JPG

I've just started work on the leaded lights, and the downpipes will be done in due course.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ooooh.......porch.........I've done one of those too:

C3kvyVL.jpg

View attachment 723762

View attachment 723763

I've just started work on the leaded lights, and the downpipes will be done in due course.

Another fine piece.

Did you do a build thread on that project six or seven years back?

CXRAndy

Guru
A bit more progress today, getting into the swing of it. We need to get far end finished before joiner arrives for kitchen fit-out

1000010831.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Looks a great job Andy. How thick are the tiles? Some friends did some DIY tiling that looked fantastic until a few cracked. Not sure if that's down to thin-ness of tiles, or they're not laid on a sufficient bed of tile cement, of maybe something heavy got dropped on them.
Anyway, they decided to cover it over with laminate; which means their underfloor heating is no longer effective...

CXRAndy

Guru
Looks a great job Andy. How thick are the tiles? Some friends did some DIY tiling that looked fantastic until a few cracked. Not sure if that's down to thin-ness of tiles, or they're not laid on a sufficient bed of tile cement, of maybe something heavy got dropped on them.
Anyway, they decided to cover it over with laminate; which means their underfloor heating is no longer effective...

These are 10mm thick ceramic. Each tile needs a full bed of adhesive underneath to prevent cracking. They are tough but not bombproof, so an even layer of whatever thickness you can get away with as low as 2mm.

Because we've had issues with the level of the floor by the builder and still not correct. I had to start at the high point of the room with the thinnest adhesive screed and work from there building up adhesive thickness slightly as I went down the first line to keep some order of level. Now we are moving away from the high spot I can let the tiles follow the slight fall of 15mm across 6 or so metres. You can't see it or feel it unless you measure for it.

Its the cuts which slow everything down, once me and the Mrs are on a roll with whole tiles they go down quickly. As we work into the corner visual progress will improve as the lines get shorter.

CXRAndy

Guru
1000010840.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
What's the best option for grouting these days; i assume a bit of flex in grout would be a good thing to accommodate movement... Or is a solid grout better, locking everything in place?

Top Bottom