Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
NHBC don't have very high standards, 4mm every 2000mm is a very bumpy floor.

I've been spoilt with self levelling companies for nearly 20 years. When, I've done extensions and newbuilds with wet underfloor systems, so always had floors laid with anhydride poured floors

4mm across an entire ground floor was easily attained.

newts

Veteran
I inspected a shower tray drainage issue on a new build house last year & the engineered joist floor was 15mm out of level across the 1700mm wide tray.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its is shocking how poorly newbuilds can be constructed and signed off by building control. I've built several properties and extensions, The basics are so easy to get right, if you are just a little caring about your work.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
One of the reasons I chose the developer we did for our newbuild was that they seemed fairly well constructed (and properly spaced out, not crammed in, nicely laid out streets, etc.)

We've had precious few snags, and that seems to be the general theme among my neighbours, and my SiL (himself a builder) checked it out and couldn't find anything to get excited over. Even the corners are all within a degree or two of being right angles, which he says isn't a given in many new builds.

But then others we looked at were obviously rather so lacking that even a lay person like what I is could detect the door that didn't close, the wobbly toilet bowl, the crack in the corner of the window glass...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My Mum's garden bench is needing some TLC...

bench.jpg

I'm thinking pressure wash then wood treatment, but what do the experts think?

MikeG

Guru
I'm going to jump in here and post some photos of the oak framed sunroom I've been building for a while. I hope I've got this in the right place. Let me know if it isn't and I'll re-post it elsewhere.

I did everything alone, from the digging to the plastering, and of course all the framing. I'm making the windows and doors at the moment. I'm not a builder. I'm an architect.

jLKWgkB.jpg

6xtWQZp.jpg

9YFB4ti.jpg

3WSL0R4.jpg

MdW3ARW.jpg

It stayed like this for 6 months whilst I recovered from an operation:

mpdhjGN.jpg

0gADULT.jpg

w2z2u4e.jpg

oOLUsnR.jpg

nwRPQ7t.jpg

n4aCI6U.jpg

2oAAVHQ.jpg

b31ssBC.jpg

I've still got the plinth to box in and the electrics to connect, plus the joinery of course, but it should be in use in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Beautiful bit of woodwork going on there! :okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's a splendid piece of work. If I'd built it the damn thing would look like Homer Simpson's spice rack, but worse.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Daughters cottage is coming to an end, tidy up, furniture goes in this weekend. Essentials for a youngster TV linked to internet

1000010750.jpg

1000010751.jpg

MikeG

Guru
Looks incredible. Is there underfloor heating?

No. There is throughout the rest of the downstairs, but this is an unheated external space and therefore not subject to Building Regs (electrics and safety glass excepted). It will be a "three season" room. It's certainly been warm enough out there to use most days in the last week or two, and that's with plastic over three window openings, and a temporary ill-fitting door.

Top Bottom