Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I recently went to rhodes, this was before the fires and i could not recommend it enough such a beautiful island and theres loads to do

I'm there in a months time, looking forward to it. Staying close to Lindos, so will defo rouse from the poolside to visits there & Acropolis and do a day in Rhodes town. any other recommendations?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Came back a day early from South Devon as the forecast was high winds and rain, the beach webcam was showing waves crashing right over the sea wall so we think we made the right choice .
Going down took 4 hours including one stop so around 3 and a half hours driving, coming back was a slow car park all the way back from Bristol to Tamworth so over 7 hours with 2 stops .

simongt

Guru
Away to Dundee for a week first thing Monday; 05.00h. start and looking forward to it. Going the 'pretty way'; A.1 to Newcastle, then veer off on the A.696 via Otterburn, Jedburgh, Edinburgh to Dundee.
Not the fastest route, but much more scenic than the Carlisle / Glasgow one and the advantage of the Border Crossing truckstop - ! :okay:
Not forgetting Michelle's truckstop on the A.17 near Saracen Head for brekky - ! :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Came back a day early from South Devon as the forecast was high winds and rain, the beach webcam was showing waves crashing right over the sea wall so we think we made the right choice .
Going down took 4 hours including one stop so around 3 and a half hours driving, coming back was a slow car park all the way back from Bristol to Tamworth so over 7 hours with 2 stops .

Accident on M5 northbound with the motorway closed for the air ambulance to land.

SUV went into Van,

Looked awful, not to mention the disruption.

Gunk

Guru
Just arrived, 36c today

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1828.jpeg

icowden

Veteran
Finally recovered from our holiday to the house of mouse (Disney and Universal Orlando). Great fun as usual but excruciatingly hot. 36 degrees but feels 41 - Florida heatwave. Managed to get prickly heat bumps all over the back of my neck and inside my armpits. Not nice.

For anyone going, Galaxy's Edge (the new Starwars land) is absolutely superb although Rise of the Resistance breaks down a lot. As in we went on it 4 times and out of those it only worked properly once. In one run we were kept in prison by the Empire for 45 minutes which we felt was taking immersion to an extreme (although at least the Empire have good air con so swings and roundabouts...). I also came back having visited Savi's workshop - this is a secret resistance stronghold where the strongest use "scrap metal" to build their own very high quality light saber. Total nerd fest. I loved it, and it is brilliantly done, turning what is essentially a 2 minute exercise into a 20 minute experience.

The new Tron coaster is also very good fun - it does have some seats at the back for those that cannot clamber / squeeze themselves onto the Tron bike seats (they are surprisingly ungenerous given the dimensions of many theme park dwelling Americans) as is the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Epcot. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is also excellent - when it is working - again it's unreliable in many places.

Universal was also fun but unless you like super aggressive rollercoasters they haven't had a new ride in a while. We went on Hagrids motorbikes a few times (also has breaking down issues).

The main issue was the heat. If climate change keeps pushing it up, the parks are going to be empty in the summer and packed at Christmas / Easter.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Finally recovered from our holiday to the house of mouse (Disney and Universal Orlando). Great fun as usual but excruciatingly hot. 36 degrees but feels 41 - Florida heatwave. Managed to get prickly heat bumps all over the back of my neck and inside my armpits. Not nice.

For anyone going, Galaxy's Edge (the new Starwars land) is absolutely superb although Rise of the Resistance breaks down a lot. As in we went on it 4 times and out of those it only worked properly once. In one run we were kept in prison by the Empire for 45 minutes which we felt was taking immersion to an extreme (although at least the Empire have good air con so swings and roundabouts...). I also came back having visited Savi's workshop - this is a secret resistance stronghold where the strongest use "scrap metal" to build their own very high quality light saber. Total nerd fest. I loved it, and it is brilliantly done, turning what is essentially a 2 minute exercise into a 20 minute experience.

The new Tron coaster is also very good fun - it does have some seats at the back for those that cannot clamber / squeeze themselves onto the Tron bike seats (they are surprisingly ungenerous given the dimensions of many theme park dwelling Americans) as is the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride in Epcot. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is also excellent - when it is working - again it's unreliable in many places.

Universal was also fun but unless you like super aggressive rollercoasters they haven't had a new ride in a while. We went on Hagrids motorbikes a few times (also has breaking down issues).

The main issue was the heat. If climate change keeps pushing it up, the parks are going to be empty in the summer and packed at Christmas / Easter.

Sister and bro in law plus family did the theme parks in LA/California this year . They loved it , kids are well into Star Wars etc . Very very expensive, well it was for them . As I’ve gotten older I’ve gone right of theme parks and fancy rides . After seeing how they are controlled with the same shiz we use in our machines it scares the bejesus out of me :laugh:

icowden

Veteran
They loved it , kids are well into Star Wars etc . Very very expensive, well it was for them .
I will vouch for this. Very very very expensive. Not just the theme park tickets and the hotels but just food and drink. Most half decent places in and around Disney and Universal you will be paying $30 to $40 for a main course.

I did get a free main at Rainforest Cafe in Animal Kingdom which has to be the worst run restaurant on the Disney Estate - but that was because they delivered a cold plate of food after we had waited for an hour and a half. We got a lot of bill reductions there!

Top Bottom