Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wandererWill

Regular
As I have mentioned earlier, I was planning to visit Mexico during Christmas. So I was doing my own research by making an itinerary, listing out all the possible places to visit, all the off beat attractions etc. I listed out these places so far: Palacio Nacional, Museo Nacional De Antropologia, Templo Mayor, The Museo De La Tortura, La Isla De La Munecas etc. I am mainly focusing on Mexico City, in particular. Although initially I was planning on visiting there but after checking the best timing to visit there from these websites https://travel.usnews.com/Mexico_City_Mexico/When_To_Visit and https://gowithguide.com/blog/mexico-city-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5526 I am thinking to prepone my journey from December to November. To be precise, if it's November, I can experience Day of the dead tradition too. Can anyone with prior knowledge guide me, December or November which will be the best time to visit there?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@HobbesOnTour has experienced lots of Mexico, he's your man! ^_^

@HobbesOnTour has experienced lots of Mexico, he's your man! ^_^
Thanks, Pat ^_^

Will, I'm probably the worst person in the world to offer advice.
o I was doing my own research by making an itinerary, listing out all the possible places to visit, all the off beat attractions etc. I listed out these places so far: Palacio Nacional, Museo Nacional De Antropologia, Templo Mayor, The Museo De La Tortura, La Isla De La Munecas etc.

Oh dear! That looks positively exhausting! ^_^

I had the incredible good fortune to be stranded in CDMX during Covid. I got to witness this Amazing, CrazyBeautiful Giantess (CDMX is a Lady) in sleepy distress, then slowly wake up. It is in incredible place, full of beauty, of life, of passion and with incredible goodwill and friendliness - if we're open to seeing it. And feeling it.
And the food! Oh the food!
Most of the tourist "attractions" were closed while I was there - not that I particularly felt their loss. There is more than enough without them. Especially if you like dogs! If you don't, don't worry - they're incredibly well behaved and will leave you alone. Your loss!

My experience of the Day of the Dead was heavily influenced by Covid. I have a hunch that may not have been a bad thing. I got to witness the preparations more than the "event". All things equal, I wouldn't miss it, but I'm not sure that mass tourism hasn't significantly impacted it. My suggestion would be to go small and local. The limited, stuttered conversations I had, the people watching, the juddering (to me) contrast between a cemetery and it becoming a place of celebration and joy are vivid and profoundly moving.

Having said that, it's less important when you go, more important that you just go. It is an amazing place. Late on Christmas Day the parks are full of families and kids playing with new toys, riding new bikes. Pack a bottle and fill it with the joy in the air.

I would strongly urge anyone visiting CDMX to allow time for ........... nothing. Follow your nose and just be, see, feel. The most important thing to pack is a smile - it will be reflected everywhere. If you speak some Spanish use it, if not, immerse yourself now so you can try a few words. It makes a big difference.

You don't mention the Palace of Fine Arts, my Amor Mexicana. Never mind the exhibits, the building is a beauty.
Nor do you mention the Sunday bike rides in the City. Beg, borrow, rent (best not to steal) a bike and join in. It is one of the great cycling experiences and we get to see a perspective of the city that is so, so different.

You can read more of my ramblings in that beautiful place starting here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...-just-tell-him-your-plans.254046/post-6052857

Suerte!

Gunk

Guru
Angon is my favourite spot in my favourite place! Your photo made be happy!!

It’s a bit of a hidden Gem, not that busy and that part of the lake is the cleanest. We were very lucky we had the house to ourselves for a week so it really was paradise.

IMG_1867.jpeg

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just converting a van to a camper van. going to the new forest in two weeks time, a little reccy weekend to see if we have done the job right and fitted what we need, will do a couple more little trips to get used to it, then the plan is a 5 week tour of europe next year. room for the bikes, just got to decide which direction to go. probably head towards Spain, but could end up anywhere. i love being retired.:cheers:

We’re up in Cumbria at the moment

Every post after this is where we’ve been
Plus where we are staying

DogmaStu

I'm going to Durban, South Africa in March. 3 weeks to visit family and take my girlfriend who has never been to Africa.

A few nights booked in for a luxury safari camp too.

I'm looking forward to doing some MTB there, taking my bike with me.

Adam4868

Guru
Just been to Lisbon for four days....I've been quite a few times but my partner hadn't been.She was on a bit of a pilgrimage to see St Bridgets skull.... don't ask 🤣
Anyway it was duly found in a church in Lumiar a village just outside Lisbon...I just went to eat and drink !
Holiday snaps....
IMG_20240206_152551660.jpg

Top Bottom