First Audax - what to expect...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is there some way of mounting the route sheet (see attachment) to the handlebar so I can see the route at-a-glance?
I'd have to protect it against wet weather of course.
You really are (wild guess) not old enough to do this.
Put the routesheet in a bag and stow, for reference just in case. Use your gps machine of choice with the gpx loaded up.
I recommend going through the route on a pc (upload the gpx to RwGPS or whatever) before your ride as that will increase your awareness of the route's shape and controls. Try to identify exactly where any info controls are. Organisers vary in their vagueness: most very little . . . . Google street view the controls. Look at the route to identify the need to look out and make a left or right turn where the open road rolls on ahead. There won't be many.
And look forward to riding in company with pogonophyllic others; between you route adherence assurance will be strong.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

You really are (wild guess) not old enough to do this.
Put the routesheet in a bag and stow, for reference just in case. Use your gps machine of choice with the gpx loaded up.
I recommend going through the route on a pc (upload the gpx to RwGPS or whatever) before your ride as that will increase your awareness of the route's shape and controls. Try to identify exactly where any info controls are. Organisers vary in their vagueness: most very little . . . . Google street view the controls. Look at the route to identify the need to look out and make a left or right turn where the open road rolls on ahead. There won't be many.
And look forward to riding in company with others; between you route adherence assurance will be strong.
Enjoy!

The only GPS device I've got is an Edge 510, hopefully it's up to the job, I'm not sure as I've not had it long. It's loaded with the TCX (not GPX file, any difference?) route of the course via RWGPS website. I've used it a few times to go on known routes i created to work and back (again TCX file). As stated earlier, sometimes it gives reassuring TBT instructions, other times it gives compass directions.
I'm Going through the Audax route on Google maps to familiarise myself with turns, landmarks etc.

Last edited:
I received an email from Rob the Organiser yesterday with final details of the event. If you haven't seen it I suggest you check your email spam folder as that is where they often end up.
Just hoping that the weather behaves!

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I received an email from Rob the Organiser yesterday with final details of the event. If you haven't seen it I suggest you check your email spam folder as that is where they often end up.
Just hoping that the weather behaves!

Yes mate, I got the email, too. Many thanks.
Hope the weather is favourable - might keep the bar-mitts on the handlebar, if not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Does anyone know what an "Information Control" is (as opposed to a Control)?

I'm assuming the Controls are for stamping the brevet card, but I don't know what the Information Control is for. Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does anyone know what an "Information Control" is (as opposed to a Control)?
I'm assuming the Controls are for stamping the brevet card, but I don't know what the Information Control is for. Thanks
Each box on the brevet needs filling, either with a stamp or, if an info control with a manuscript 'answer' to the question printed on the brevet. The routesheet will specify the existence of each info control with (good practice) clarity over its precise location. But the question will not be given thereon.
When you go through the route this week (on RwGPS say with http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php open too for the OS mapping) try to identify the place and GoogleSV it to help you recognise when there. Since you won't yet know the question, you can't pre-determine the answer.
When you pick up your brevet at the start, look for the info control questions and memorise them (there can't be more than one in a well planned 100km imho).
Arriving at the spot discern the answer to the Q and either write it in the box or memorise it for later. Some riders take a photo of the feature to refer to at the next cafe stop: younger ones can do this without stopping (eg price of petrol at x garage). Quite likely there will be riders faffing around at the info control site. If the slightest doubt, when next riding in company, ask them whether the answer you have is the same as theirs.
The quality of info control questions reflects the personality of the organiser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Each box on the brevet needs filling, either with a stamp or, if an info control with a manuscript 'answer' to the question printed on the brevet. The routesheet will specify the existence of each info control with (good practice) clarity over its precise location. But the question will not be given thereon.
When you go through the route this week (on RwGPS say with http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php open too for the OS mapping) try to identify the place and GoogleSV it to help you recognise when there. Since you won't yet know the question, you can't pre-determine the answer.
When you pick up your brevet at the start, look for the info control questions and memorise them (there can't be more than one in a well planned 100km imho).
Arriving at the spot discern the answer to the Q and either write it in the box or memorise it for later. Some riders take a photo of the feature to refer to at the next cafe stop: younger ones can do this without stopping (eg price of petrol at x garage). Quite likely there will be riders faffing around at the info control site. If the slightest doubt, when next riding in company, ask them whether the answer you have is the same as theirs.
The quality of info control questions reflects the personality of the organiser.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I've now got a couple of ideas of what these info control points might be... i.e. roadside features I've seen on Goog-maps.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I've now got a couple of ideas of what these info control points might be... i.e. roadside features I've seen on Goog-maps.

Roadside features
Distance on a mile marker
Number/colour of a door
Age of a pub/shop/plaque
etc etc

@Mazz I was looking out for you but there were a lot of people at the start. Hope you weren't put off by the early rain and had a good day out. I made a detour on the way back to the finish to deliver something to Great Glen and ended up riding through a flooded section of road that was well over my bottom bracket. The detour may have avoided a few of the later climbs but I could have done without the soaking feet and possibly trashed bottom bracket. All in all a good day out.
...and the info answers were 'Street' and 'Superfast'. Not bad but last year's 'Beware of Bear' was far better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

@Mazz I was looking out for you but there were a lot of people at the start. Hope you weren't put off by the early rain and had a good day out. I made a detour on the way back to the finish to deliver something to Great Glen and ended up riding through a flooded section of road that was well over my bottom bracket. The detour may have avoided a few of the later climbs but I could have done without the soaking feet and possibly trashed bottom bracket. All in all a good day out.
...and the info answers were 'Street' and 'Superfast'. Not bad but last year's 'Beware of Bear' was far better.

Yes mate I really enjoyed it. Starting at Thurnby was ideal for me as I'm only up the road in Oadby.
Buddied up with another rider, it was so good to have some company. All a friendly bunch to be fair.
Weather was p$$-poor at the start and although it stopped raining, the damage was already done w.r.t. flooded roads. Some proper terracotta-coloured streams to navigate.
Loved it though, and up for doing another one. The 200k in September looks tempting.
p.s. I originally thought the 2nd answer was "30mph" as there was also a speed camera sign on that green box!

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes mate I really enjoyed it. Starting at Thurnby was ideal for me as I'm only up the road in Oadby.
Buddied up with another rider, it was so good to have some company. All a friendly bunch to be fair.
Weather was p$$-poor at the start and although it stopped raining, the damage was already done w.r.t. flooded roads. Some proper terracotta-coloured streams to navigate.
Loved it though, and up for doing another one. The 200k in September looks tempting.
p.s. I originally thought the 2nd answer was "30mph" as there was also a speed camera sign on that green box!

Glad you enjoyed it @Mazz

Pleased to hear it.
The flood just after the second control was worrying as there was a fair bit of depth and flow. Also some of the (invisible) road surfaces round there are pretty poor and need some care. It all adds to the memories of the event!
I did the September 200k a couple of years ago. It is a good route and has the advantage of finishing at a pub for rehydration 😃

13 rider

Guru
Glad you enjoyed it @Mazz , I had left it too late to sign up as I was watched the forecast as I have become a fair weather cyclist these days ,even if I had registered I might not have rode it due to the weather

Top Bottom